Python bindings

rene...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2016, 5:23:18 AM11/16/16
to deal.II developers
Dear deal.II developers,

a longer while back I wrote proof of concept bindings [1] for usage with pyMOR [2].
A few months back at PdeSoft there was some talk of an ongoing effort for official bindings. As we're now considering expanding deal.II usage from pyMOR we're wondering if that effort is still ongoing or if there's even some result we can already switch to.

Cheers,
René

[1] https://github.com/pymor/pymor-deal.II
[2] http://pymor.org/

Denis Davydov

Nov 17, 2016, 7:28:24 AM11/17/16
to deal.II developers, rene...@gmail.com
Hi Rene,

There are some python bindings already in deal.II for Triangulation, Point and alike, see https://github.com/dealii/dealii/tree/master/contrib/python-bindings
It was contributed by Bruno recently.

Regards,
Denis.

rene...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2016, 3:43:13 AM11/18/16
to deal.II developers, rene...@gmail.com
Hi Denis,

thanks for the info. Those bindings cover a different subset than what I did, so I'll be keeping mine for the time being. If anybody wants to take a look and talk about integrating them upstream at some point it'd be very open to that.

Cheers,
René

Denis Davydov

Nov 18, 2016, 3:56:11 AM11/18/16
to deal.II developers, rene...@gmail.com
Hi Rene,

> On 18 Nov 2016, at 09:43, rene...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Denis,
>
> thanks for the info. Those bindings cover a different subset than what I did, so I'll be keeping mine for the time being. If anybody wants to take a look and talk about integrating them upstream at some point it'd be very open to that.

I guess nobody will mind if you contribute them upstream ;-)
It does not have to be all-at-once, maybe just start with a small part of what you did, create a PR and then we can discuss it within a PR interface https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pulls .

Regards,
Denis.

rene...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2016, 9:29:34 AM11/18/16
to deal.II developers, rene...@gmail.com

Well, since I've based them on pybind11, instead of boost::python as the already contributed ones, I wanted to test the water before investing work into a PR that could quite understandably be rejected for introducing another, incompatible, dependency.

Denis Davydov

Nov 18, 2016, 9:30:55 AM11/18/16
to deal.II developers
I see, maybe create an issue to discuss this https://github.com/dealii/dealii/issues