Announcing the deal.II Code Gallery

Wolfgang Bangerth

Feb 12, 2016, 2:43:09 PM2/12/16
to deal.II user group, deal.II developers

All,
at the last deal.II Users and Developers Workshop last August, we had a
long discussion about ways how we can provide more starting points for
others to build their codes on.

We came up with the "Code Gallery": A place where anyone can deposit
their codes built on deal.II so that others can take a look, and use it
as a starting point for their own work. Our goal is to provide a forum
that allows for the re-use of codes, and leads to more collaboration.

Our experience with 16 years of sharing codes is that it brings people
together: someone who can see that a code you put online might be useful
to their project will likely want to collaborate with you, jointly
working on their project, and write papers together. In other words,
putting codes online doesn't just allow you to get credit for the work
you have done, but is also likely going to lead to contacts you might
otherwise never have made.

This code gallery is now online, currently with three programs. You can
find it at
https://dealii.org/code-gallery.html
https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/CodeGallery.html

The first of these pages also contains instructions on how anyone can
contribute to the code gallery. The purpose to doing so is purposefully
simple, and the requirements to uploading a code are minimal. *Please
consider making your code a component of the gallery!*

Best
Wolfgang

PS: We have not gone through many versions of submission process yet. If
there are steps in the instructions at
https://dealii.org/code-gallery.html#instructions
that you think are unclear, let us work on them together!

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@math.tamu.edu

phillip mobley

Feb 15, 2016, 11:37:14 AM2/15/16
to deal.II User Group, dealii-d...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, I have been waiting for this! I will be uploading one of my projects to the code gallery soon. It is a very simple simulation, a parallel plate capacitor in free space! I hope that others who are looking to use deal.II for electrodynamics will be able to use this file as a starting point!

Wolfgang Bangerth

Feb 15, 2016, 11:41:35 AM2/15/16
to dealii-d...@googlegroups.com
On 02/15/2016 10:37 AM, phillip mobley wrote:
> Perfect, I have been waiting for this! I will be uploading one of my projects
> to the code gallery soon. It is a very simple simulation, a parallel plate
> capacitor in free space! I hope that others who are looking to use deal.II for
> electrodynamics will be able to use this file as a starting point!

Great, we're looking forward to it!
Best
W.

Michael Harmon

Feb 28, 2017, 10:24:32 AM2/28/17
to deal.II User Group, dealii-d...@googlegroups.com, bang...@tamu.edu
Hi, I wanted to submit a example code to the code gallery, but was wondering is there a tool to see how the page will look before when all the doxygen comments are taken into account.. like the following:

Wolfgang Bangerth

Feb 28, 2017, 4:49:59 PM2/28/17
On 02/28/2017 08:24 AM, Michael Harmon wrote:
> Hi, I wanted to submit a example code to the code gallery, but was wondering
> is there a tool to see how the page will look before when all the doxygen
> comments are taken into account.. like the following:
>
> https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/code_gallery_cdr.html

Just check out the code gallery git repository in a directory parallel to the
examples/ directory and build the deal.II documentation as described in the
readme. It will pick up the code gallery and create joint documentation for
the tutorial and the code gallery.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Message has been deleted

Michael Harmon

Mar 1, 2017, 9:47:49 AM3/1/17
to deal.II User Group, dealii-d...@googlegroups.com, bang...@tamu.edu
doh. thanks!

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 12:34:52 AM UTC-5, Jean-Paul Pelteret wrote:
Wolfgang's answer to Michael's question from a duplicate post:

Just check out the code gallery git repository in a directory parallel to the
examples/ directory and build the deal.II documentation as described in the
readme. It will pick up the code gallery and create joint documentation for
the tutorial and the code gallery.

Best
  W.

Michael Harmon

Mar 6, 2017, 5:59:50 PM3/6/17
to deal.II User Group, dealii-d...@googlegroups.com, bang...@tamu.edu
actually, i am having issues... When I build the documentation on my local machine without the code-gallery file everything works.  However, with the code-gallery, it breaks

down and I get the error attached as a picture... any ideas on what's going wrong?