Mediatomb on Snake OS

rich_a

Sep 11, 2009, 8:30:14 PM9/11/09
to DealExtreme NAS
Just a heads-up for those wanting upnp media server functionality, the
arm4 build of mediatomb on the mediatomb website seems to work great
on SnakeOS. Only caveat is that you need to create a sqlite db on
external storage, but it's working great streaming to my ps3, a hell
of a lot more reliable than the install of ushare provided on the
stock firmware!

The NAS is, surprisingly, pretty good at streaming, even some 720p/
1080p test files. Although fast fowarding more than 1.5x on a 1080p
seems to do nothing on the ps3.

If anyone wants to see example config.xml files etc, just let me know.

Douglas Gazineu

Sep 11, 2009, 8:42:09 PM9/11/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
@rich_a:

Very cool.
Please, post a tutorial .
--
Douglas Gazineu

Ruben Rodriguez

Sep 12, 2009, 1:40:13 AM9/12/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
@rich_a:

I like it. Post a tutorial and upload your config.xml file of example, please.

Best regards,

Rubik2k

rich_a

Sep 12, 2009, 6:18:16 AM9/12/09
to DealExtreme NAS

CastleJohn

Sep 12, 2009, 8:44:43 AM9/12/09
to DealExtreme NAS
I´ve tested Ushare 1.1a ( binaries package sent to me
by Douglas)
It seems to have the same performance with a
simpler config file and no need of sqlite DB.

What is the advantage of using Mediatomb ?

Have you tested it with transcoding enabled ?
And what about external subtitles (srt) ?

CJ.

Richard Asplin

Sep 12, 2009, 11:42:57 AM9/12/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I think the only advantage of Mediatomb is the ability to extend the filename -> mimetype mappings through the config and add different files/paths to the server through the web interface.

I can't wait to try ushare, though, if it works as well as mediatomb does (and support m2ts and vob files which didn't work on the version that came with the stock firmware) then I'll probably switch!

CastleJohn

Sep 12, 2009, 5:01:13 PM9/12/09
to DealExtreme NAS
As far as I can see, no big advantage over Ushare when
not using transcoding.
I´ve tried to find a armv4 compiled mencoder to enable MediaTomb
transcoding
(and be able to insert srt subtitles into the video stream) but
no success...

[]s

On 12 set, 12:42, Richard Asplin <richard.asp...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I think the only advantage of Mediatomb is the ability to extend the
> filename -> mimetype mappings through the config and add different
> files/paths to the server through the web interface.
>
> I can't wait to try ushare, though, if it works as well as mediatomb does
> (and support m2ts and vob files which didn't work on the version that came
> with the stock firmware) then I'll probably switch!

Douglas Gazineu

Sep 12, 2009, 5:01:38 PM9/12/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
@CastleJohn:

Would you mind of setting up a tutorial of ushare?

PS: I have not forgot of compiling it with DLNA support, just a matter of free time...
--
Douglas Gazineu

Ruben Rodriguez

Sep 12, 2009, 5:10:59 PM9/12/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
A tutorial of ushare is a good idea!

Best regards,

Rubik2k

jbeleni

Sep 30, 2009, 8:26:42 AM9/30/09
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi guys!

Has anyone trys UShare?

Thank´s

On 12 sep, 18:10, Ruben Rodriguez <rubi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A tutorial of ushare is a good idea!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rubik2k
>
> 2009/9/12, Douglas Gazineu <dgazi...@gmail.com>:
>

> > @CastleJohn:
>
> > Would you mind of setting up a tutorial of ushare?
>
> > PS: I have not forgot of compiling it withDLNAsupport, just a matter of
> > free time...

jbeleni

Oct 1, 2009, 11:06:59 PM10/1/09
to DealExtreme NAS
rich_a.

Thank's for post the tutorial.
I have installed and work's perfect!!!

Only one question. How can I indicate to snakeOS to starts the service
on every system startup?

thank's again.

javier

On Sep 12, 7:18 am, rich_a <richard.asp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here's a tutorial I whipped up:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-/web/mediatomb-howto?h...
>
> On Sep 12, 1:42 am, Douglas Gazineu <dgazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > @rich_a:
>
> > Very cool.
> > Please, post a tutorial .
>
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 21:30, rich_a <richard.asp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Just a heads-up for those wanting upnp media server functionality, the
> > > arm4 build of mediatomb on the mediatomb website seems to work great
> > > on SnakeOS.  Only caveat is that you need to create a sqlite db on
> > > external storage, but it's working great streaming to my ps3, a hell
> > > of a lot more reliable than the install of ushare provided on the
> > > stock firmware!
>
> > > The NAS is, surprisingly, pretty good at streaming, even some 720p/
> > > 1080p test files.  Although fast fowarding more than 1.5x on a 1080p
> > > seems to do nothing on the ps3.
>
> > > If anyone wants to see example config.xml files etc, just let me know.
>
> > --
> > Douglas Gazineu- Hide quoted text -

Douglas Gazineu

Oct 2, 2009, 2:48:25 PM10/2/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
You can include it the cron or edit any service file on /etc/init.d to start it together with something else.
--
Douglas Gazineu

ak123

Oct 4, 2009, 10:29:42 AM10/4/09
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Douglas,

I did what you have suggested and it works fine, thanks.
I also tried putting my own mediatomb service file in /etc/init.d (to
avoid hacking existing service files), but it seems that such
additional files are not called. Am I right ?

Best regards.

Douglas Gazineu

Oct 4, 2009, 12:18:43 PM10/4/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they are not called. That is the reason why I suggested to edit one existing to call it.

Your script will have to check if the disk with application (mediatomb) is mounted, or wait until it is, in order to start.
--
Douglas Gazineu

Arlindo Pereira

Oct 29, 2009, 9:44:10 AM10/29/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

I may be wrong, but as far as I can see obviously the device does not have horsepower to transcode files on-the-fly. So it would be impossible to watch the videos with SRT subtitles unless you do it yourself it in another machine and store the hardsubbed file.

Now, a question: you said one should create a sqlite database on another machine. This means that the database is running all the time on another machine or you need another machine just for the creation? It the latter, could you add a default sqlite.db in the tar.gz file?

I second that a tutorial for UShare would be nice, perhaps one works better (i.e. uses less processor) than another...

Thank you!

2009/10/4 Douglas Gazineu <dgaz...@gmail.com>

--
Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br
Consultor de Software Livre da Uniriotec Consultoria - uniriotec.com

Acadêmico: arlindo...@uniriotec.br
Profissional: arlindo...@uniriotec.com
Geral: con...@arlindopereira.com
Tel.: +5521 92504072
Jabber/Google Talk: nig...@nighto.net
Skype: nighto_sumomo
Chave pública: BD065DEC

CastleJohn

Oct 29, 2009, 12:32:18 PM10/29/09
to DealExtreme NAS
To avoid the transcoding necessity i've used AviAdd2Sub:

http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

This software combines AVI + SRT generating a DIVX file
with the embedded subtitles.

When playing the generated DIVX file there will be
an option to active the incorporated subtitle.

By doing this no transcoding is necessary.

I've been using my Playstation 3 to play DIVX files
served by the NAS unit running UShare binaries
provided by Douglas.

If required I can post the binaries here.

[]s

On Oct 29, 11:44 am, Arlindo Pereira <nig...@nighto.net> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I may be wrong, but as far as I can see obviously the device does not have
> horsepower to transcode files on-the-fly. So it would be impossible to watch
> the videos with SRT subtitles unless you do it yourself it in another
> machine and store the hardsubbed file.
>
> Now, a question: you said one should create a sqlite database on another
> machine. This means that the database is running all the time on another
> machine or you need another machine just for the creation? It the latter,
> could you add a default sqlite.db in the tar.gz file?
>
> I second that a tutorial for UShare would be nice, perhaps one works better
> (i.e. uses less processor) than another...
>
> Thank you!
>
> 2009/10/4 Douglas Gazineu <dgazi...@gmail.com>
>

> > Yes, they are not called. That is the reason why I suggested to edit one
> > existing to call it.
>
> > Your script will have to check if the disk with application (mediatomb) is
> > mounted, or wait until it is, in order to start.
>
> Acadêmico: arlindo.pere...@uniriotec.br
> Profissional: arlindo.pere...@uniriotec.com
> Geral: cont...@arlindopereira.com

rich_a

Oct 29, 2009, 3:07:49 PM10/29/09
to DealExtreme NAS
> Now, a question: you said one should create a sqlite database on another
> machine.

No, mediatomb will automatically create a sqlite database for you on
your disk drive. No need to create any databases elsewhere!

Arlindo Pereira

Oct 29, 2009, 10:35:09 PM10/29/09
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks! Will try as soon as possible.

Cheers,

adam w

Oct 30, 2009, 4:29:07 PM10/30/09
to DealExtreme NAS
any light on getting mediatomb to run automatically? eg boot change?
only thing i can think is that what would happen if you did not have
the drive installed could you skip command if drive not located? sorry
if stupid question I'm new to Linux command programing only just
worked out basic ssh commands but happy to try and help if i can, dont
mind filling in the gaps if im pounted in the right way :)

i have not tryed it with my ps3 yet, will when i get home

good work, thank you

rich_a

Oct 30, 2009, 6:32:10 PM10/30/09
to DealExtreme NAS
I just added a line to /etc/init.d/swapsvc to start mediatomb beneath
the start and autostart commands near the end of the file:

/usb/sda1/nas/mediatomb.sh &

adam w

Oct 30, 2009, 8:57:31 PM10/30/09
to DealExtreme NAS
hi thanks for the reply i have looked at the file and it looks a mess
were exactly can i fit this in?

fi
}

case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
autostart)
autostart
;;
stop)

??

or is there a better editor i can use for changes? i am using notepad
at the moment

On Oct 30, 10:32 pm, rich_a <richard.asp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I just added a line to /etc/init.d/swapsvc to start mediatomb beneath
> the start and autostart commands near the end of the file:
>
> /usb/sda1/nas/mediatomb.sh &
>
> On Oct 30, 8:29 pm, adam w <adam.whatf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > any light on getting mediatomb to run automatically? eg boot change?
> > only thing i can think is that what would happen if you did not have
> > the drive installed could you skip command if drive not located? sorry
> > if stupid question I'm new to Linux command programing only just
> > worked out basic ssh commands but happy to try and help if i can, dont
> > mind filling in the gaps if im pointed in the right way :)
>
> > i have not tryed it with my ps3 yet, will when i get home
>
> > good work, thank you- Hide quoted text -

adam w

Oct 30, 2009, 11:05:53 PM10/30/09
to DealExtreme NAS
got it hooked up to my ps3... video is good but will not stream 5.1
sound on divx but this looks like a mediatomb problem mp3 files and
divx with audio 2.1 run very well.

I still need to see if the file server will connect to my ps2 running
sms but this is beyond the scope of this post and will be down to sms
player if all of this works this nas will be all i want it to be.

the factory firmware media server would not connect to ps3 at all, i
do not know if running under snake will run any better might be worth
a try good to compare.

only need to sort out auto run and this will be grate.

ace job so far Meany thanks

rich_a

Oct 31, 2009, 5:34:57 AM10/31/09
to DealExtreme NAS
> hi thanks for the reply i have looked at the file and it looks a mess
> were exactly can i fit this in?

My file looks like so:

> case "$1" in
>   start)
>         start
/usb/sda1/nas/mediatomb.sh &
>         ;;
>   autostart)
>         autostart
/usb/sda1/nas/mediatomb.sh &
>         ;;
>   stop)
killall mediatomb

> or is there a better editor i can use for changes? i am using notepad
> at the moment

Notepad doesn't support UNIX text files so well. Best to use notepad+
+, or you can use vi if you ssh into snakeos (use 'i' to enter edit
mode, esc + :wq to write the file)

Just read your other post re: 5.1 sound in divx files, do these files
work when plugging a drive directly into the PS3? If the file
extension is 'divx' you might need to create a new mime type mapping
in the config file.

adam w

Oct 31, 2009, 9:23:23 PM10/31/09
to DealExtreme NAS
i have try-ed adding the following to the file but it just stops my
swap file :( still working on it
any chance of posting your copy of the file? try-ed in wordpad and it
comes up much better
was using pclinuxs os as well with the ftp and editor on there but not
much help, file zilla on windows has a much more stable connection

looking at some of the other files and looking at the lay out i am
guessing that its a bit like bat file's?
also dose any one have a good link for me to go learn more on these?

with reqards to the divx file i have not try-ed the drive on the ps3
yet as im not sure if ex3 will be read by it, will have to put it on
to a fat drive if not, will update on that

adam w

Oct 31, 2009, 11:28:51 PM10/31/09
to DealExtreme NAS
hi i have try-ed fitting run command in to cron and swap but these
both dont seem to load it at the bottom and in the start and autostart
commands. i will try adding sda1 mounting tomorrow but not having much
luck so far, am i missing some thing?

Meany thanks

adam w

Nov 4, 2009, 7:51:39 PM11/4/09
to DealExtreme NAS
hi i have tryed the following using notepad++ still no joy my
mediatomb.sh is in main partition on harddrive in no folder and still
nothing i have looked for other scripts but no joy i realy think im
missing something.
am i using the right path? in filezilla it is in ./usb/sda1/
mediatomb.sh and runs fine on putty ssh using the same directory.
i have been all over looking for how to mod these scripts but am at a
lost on how to get it to work i have tryed getting it to run in its
own shell and to be called only thing i have not tryed is putting it
in to fstab or root as a timed event as i am unsure as to how it can
be done to come on at boot only and not at a fixed time :-(

case "$1" in
start)
start

/usb/sda1/mediatomb.sh &
;;
autostart)
autostart

/usb/sda1/mediatomb.sh &
;;
stop)
stop
killall mediatomb
;;
force-create)
forcecreate
;;
remove)
remove
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|force-create|remove|autostart}"
exit 1
esac

da coug

Nov 6, 2009, 5:03:40 PM11/6/09
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi, thanks for your tutorial/package on mediatomb. It is now running
from my external hdd.
But I found it not very user friendly, especially, did someone know
how not to have all shared video files in root "Videos" default
folder.
see ya

adam w

Nov 10, 2009, 5:31:54 PM11/10/09
to DealExtreme NAS
got auto run lol so happy now. simple things.....

do the above edit to swap script then edit the mediatomb.sh file to
include the full root to the drive like so (this copyed from the top
of my mediatomb script after edit)

"# if you want to launch this script from a different directory (for
example
# from an another init script or similar, set the LAUNCHDIR variable
below
# to the absolute path of the mediatomb.sh script

LAUNCHDIR=/usb/sda1/mediatomb/"

big thank you to the snake and mediatomb teams

TJphonix

Apr 22, 2014, 12:51:07 PM4/22/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com

Mendelson Gusmão

Apr 22, 2014, 1:47:26 PM4/22/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is. Google Groups does not offer any downloads anymore.
There's a backup of the entire downloadable content at https://code.google.com/p/snake-os/downloads/list
Files dealextreme-nas--*.zip

Regards,