Request: Source for snakeos-V1.3.2-20101130-from-snake.bin

Pebcak

Feb 8, 2011, 6:21:21 AM2/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS, rober...@gmail.com
Can we get the source for the firmware snakeos-V1.3.2-20101130-from-
snake.bin?
I would like to see if I can update the usb driver which I think is
causing some problems on my NS-K330.

Thanks.

Drnoone

Feb 8, 2011, 7:54:20 AM2/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS
It would be nice to have a repository (SVN or something like that).
In that way some of the problems we have with the NAS could be
hopefully solved.

M. Gusmão

Feb 8, 2011, 8:49:24 AM2/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS
GITHub for sure!

Dmc

Apr 4, 2011, 9:07:57 PM4/4/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Any update on at least getting the source? I want to build a custom
firmware, but wouldn't like to move back to 1.1 :)

robert

Apr 6, 2011, 4:02:41 AM4/6/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi yesterday I found the link to the source in a comment.
Look here:
http://code.google.com/p/snake-os/issues/detail?id=100&q=1.3

On comment 11 is the link to the source.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/IQJ0qjtt/sharing.html#

I had downloaded and it is 320 MB. I will see if it possible to upload
on the download area of the snake site...

If you failed to download, ask me and I can help you.

Regards,
Robert

Duncan McQueen

Apr 6, 2011, 11:13:07 AM4/6/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, robert
Thanks.

Is there any thought about putting all of this source in SVN or github?

M. Gusmão

Apr 6, 2011, 12:52:10 PM4/6/11
to DealExtreme NAS
I'll put it in my GITHub but I'm not sure if this is correct. I think
the author should be responsible on doing it...

What do you think?

Best regards,

Mendel

On Apr 6, 12:13 pm, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Is there any thought about putting all of this source in SVN or github?

Duncan McQueen

Apr 6, 2011, 12:54:46 PM4/6/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, M. Gusmão
Yeah - I noticed the regular project does not have the source code
repository for Google Code enabled. My thought is that the official
source should go there, and the proposed changes should be reviewed to
see if they should be folded into the official source (and this may
aid this whole process). It also may help encourage code
contributions.

M. Gusmão

Apr 6, 2011, 1:29:29 PM4/6/11
to DealExtreme NAS
!!!

The extracted source has about 1.3 GB !!!

I wonder if there is any directory of file that can be removed. I'll
try to clean the SDK before pushing it to GIT [
https://github.com/PvreHaavok/Snake-OS-Unofficial ]

Cheers

On Apr 6, 1:54 pm, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah - I noticed the regular project does not have the source code
> repository for Google Code enabled.  My thought is that the official
> source should go there, and the proposed changes should be reviewed to
> see if they should be folded into the official source (and this may
> aid this whole process).  It also may help encourage code
> contributions.

robert

Apr 7, 2011, 8:35:06 AM4/7/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Mendel, and Duncan,

I'm happy to have TWO professionals for putting source to CVS/github.
None volunteered for this at least for last one year... :))

I bend to consider what Duncan suggests. The snake source site should
be the home of CVS.
I have some rights on that site, and ask Douglas to give to you both.

Is that enough to start guys?

I hope this is the task for me...

Regards,
Robert

Luis Claudio R. Goncalves

Apr 7, 2011, 9:06:16 AM4/7/11
On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 05:35:06AM -0700, robert wrote:
| Hi Mendel, and Duncan,
|
| I'm happy to have TWO professionals for putting source to CVS/github.
| None volunteered for this at least for last one year... :))
|
| I bend to consider what Duncan suggests. The snake source site should
| be the home of CVS.
| I have some rights on that site, and ask Douglas to give to you both.

If you don't mind, I would strongly suggest using git instead of CVS. Git
makes it easier to track regressions, to bisect code looking for a bad
commit. Also, if the people with wwrite access to the git tree decide to
create branches for different tests or flavors of SnakeOS, git makes it
cheaper and easier. IIRC git the initial idea on this thread.

My $0,02
Luis

| Is that enough to start guys?
|
| I hope this is the task for me...
|
| Regards,
| Robert
|

| On �pr. 6, 19:29, M. Gusm�o <mendelsongus...@gmail.com> wrote:
| > !!!
| >
| > The extracted source has about 1.3 GB !!!
| >
| > I wonder if there is any directory of file that can be removed. I'll
| > try to clean the SDK before pushing it to GIT [https://github.com/PvreHaavok/Snake-OS-Unofficial]
| >
| > Cheers
| >
| > On Apr 6, 1:54�pm, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
| >

| > > Yeah - I noticed the regular project does not have the source code
| > > repository for Google Code enabled. �My thought is that the official
| > > source should go there, and the proposed changes should be reviewed to
| > > see if they should be folded into the official source (and this may
| > > aid this whole process). �It also may help encourage code
| > > contributions.

---end quoted text---

--
[ Luis Claudio R. Goncalves Bass - Gospel - RT ]
[ Fingerprint: 4FDD B8C4 3C59 34BD 8BE9 2696 7203 D980 A448 C8F8 ]

Duncan McQueen

Apr 7, 2011, 9:53:10 AM4/7/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, Luis Claudio R. Goncalves
I agree with Luis. From what I recall Google Code is just SVN,
correct or is it Git? Would github be a better alternative purely for
code hosting?

M. Gusmão

Apr 7, 2011, 10:45:04 AM4/7/11
to DealExtreme NAS
I think GIT is much better, but I don't mind if SVN is chosen. I have
experience with both but none with CVS. And if I consider how bad are
the things I listen about CVS, I'd like to be far way from it. GIT is
the best solution, considering its flexibility.

Different from what I said in the last message, the code has no 1.3
GB. It has 2 GB! (!!!).

For now I suggest two services: GITHub and Bettercodes. Github is well-
known, stable, but the free account has no sufficient disk space to
store 2 GB, so we'll need to pay for it to store the code. I don't
mind helping to pay the service, but Bettercodes is free, pretty
flexible and has the 2 GB we need. However, it's a pretty young
service and I don't know its stability.

Google Code is SVN and Mercurial/hg. Mercurial is something new to me,
I did some silly pulls on a Django project but nothing more than this.
It looks promising for me and I think it's a choice to consider.

Best regards,

Mendel

On Apr 7, 10:53 am, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Luis.  From what I recall Google Code is just SVN,
> correct or is it Git?  Would github be a better alternative purely for
> code hosting?
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Luis Claudio R. Goncalves

Duncan McQueen

Apr 7, 2011, 10:46:52 AM4/7/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
What is Google Code's hosting size? I am also curious if there is
some that could be done to reduce the code size.

Kevin Ricks

Apr 7, 2011, 10:54:29 AM4/7/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone ever considered using the Source Forge site?: http://sourceforge.net/

M. Gusmão

Apr 7, 2011, 12:04:29 PM4/7/11
to DealExtreme NAS
I'm not familiar with storaging projects in Sourceforge. Do it have
any limits or restrictions?

On Apr 7, 11:54 am, Kevin Ricks <klri...@clearwire.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever considered using the Source Forge site?:http://sourceforge.net/

Kevin Ricks

Apr 7, 2011, 1:14:30 PM4/7/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Go here and look at site documentation:
 http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Support

Duncan McQueen

Apr 7, 2011, 1:23:17 PM4/7/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Ricks
I'd say unless there is a large advantage, Google Code's repositories
would be the best way to go since they integrate with what is already
there.

robert

Apr 8, 2011, 3:46:28 AM4/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Kevin.

Maybe I ask very dummy :) but has Sourceforge any relation to Oracle?
In this case I feel some small risk about long term cooperation....

SF could be the 3.th option. Is it is also SVN?

Regards,
Robert

robert

Apr 8, 2011, 3:54:11 AM4/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi

Mendel and Louis has some strong arguments about GIT.
I don't really know any of them. So I suggest Duncan and Mendel should
agree which will be choosen, and who will do what.

Mendel !
Regarding your question about SIze limit at Googlecode:
http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/FAQ

"What other limits exist?
There are disk-space quota limits for both issue tracker attachments
and total Subversion repository size, along with a limit on how many
total projects you are able to create. If you hit these limits, please
contact us via our Google Group or email google-code-
hos...@googlegroups.com directly to discuss the situation.
"

Which is not exact answer but promissing.
But Gogglecode only SVN and Mercurial as you wrote.

1.3 GB seems too much. Have you any result with clean up?

So I suggest to vote.
One vote to free github.

Douglas didn't answer yet :(

Regards,
Robert

On ápr. 7, 19:23, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd say unless there is a large advantage, Google Code's repositories
> would be the best way to go since they integrate with what is already
> there.
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Kevin Ricks <klri...@clearwire.net> wrote:
> > Go here and look at site documentation:
> >  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Support

Veli-Pekka Peltola

Apr 8, 2011, 8:28:45 AM4/8/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
One option is to modify build system so that it downloads unmodified source packages first and then applies patches before building. There is no point to store full Linux kernel in version control system for example. That makes easier to see what changes are when compared to vanilla versions. Forward porting is easier too.

--
MadSpark

Duncan McQueen

Apr 8, 2011, 10:35:07 AM4/8/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, Veli-Pekka Peltola
I think that would be ideal. I'd still vote for Google Code hosting
the code so that we everything is on one place - but not sure whether
SVN , GIT or Mercurial is best for hosting the code in this method -
any thoughts?

M. Gusmão

Apr 8, 2011, 3:30:21 PM4/8/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Well, I'm not a great Linux enthusiast and expert. I used Kurumin in
emergencies, in early 2003, tested Ubuntu, Slackware and Mint and now
I'm using Ubuntu at work and doing something on SNAKE at home. I'm
mostly on Windows. The point is that I still don't get some of Linux
structures and I don't know what I can strip from the source without
screwing up. I don't even know how to cross-compile for ARM (but I'm
trying to learn). So, I like the idea suggested by Veli-Pekka Peltola
but I don't know hos to do it, effectively.

BTW, I want to know Gazineu's thoughts about these ideas. Hope he's
not too busy to see what we're planning, as well to get with us.

And, when I have the minimum knowledge, I plan to fork SNAKE to a
project of Twitter gateway using a cellphone. It's a simple fetcher of
replies/dms that sends them as SMS messages through a cellphone
connected to serial (pl2303.ko!). The project will use some kind of
basic Twitter client and SQLite. I can do this easily on a chrooted
Debian, but the challenge of developing for SNAKE is more attractive.
I think there is no need to chroot because I believe in SNAKE's
power. :)

On Apr 8, 11:35 am, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that would be ideal.  I'd still vote for Google Code hosting
> the code so that we everything is on one place - but not sure whether
>  SVN , GIT or Mercurial is best for hosting the code in this method -
> any thoughts?
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Veli-Pekka Peltola <madsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One option is to modify build system so that it downloads unmodified source packages first and then applies patches before building. There is no point to store full Linux kernel in version control system for example. That makes easier to see what changes are when compared to vanilla versions. Forward porting is easier too.
>
> > --
> > MadSpark

> read more »

Douglas Gazineu

Apr 12, 2011, 7:34:30 AM4/12/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Folks:

If you clean the source code from objects and binaries, it should end with ~650MB.

By the way, I just added Mendel and Duncan as committers on the http://snake-os.googlecode.com website, so you can organize the SVN in a proper way. I had intention to work this out, and almost two years have past since project beginning... The SVN/CVS are not on my skill list. Welcome to you both!

Rgds,
Douglas Gazineu

M. Gusmão

Apr 12, 2011, 12:51:55 PM4/12/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Thanks, Douglas!

Now we must find a way to merge 1.2 and 1.3.2. Since 1.3.2 isn't in a
repository, I think it will be hard.

Cheers

On Apr 12, 8:34 am, Douglas Gazineu <dgazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> If you clean the source code from objects and binaries, it should end with
> ~650MB.
>
> By the way, I just added Mendel and Duncan as committers on thehttp://snake-os.googlecode.comwebsite, so you can organize the SVN in a
> proper way. I had intention to work this out, and almost two years have past
> since project beginning... The SVN/CVS are not on my skill list. Welcome to
> you both!
>
> Rgds,

> read more »

Luis Claudio R. Goncalves

Apr 12, 2011, 1:10:00 PM4/12/11
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 09:51:55AM -0700, M. Gusm�o wrote:
| Thanks, Douglas!
|
| Now we must find a way to merge 1.2 and 1.3.2. Since 1.3.2 isn't in a
| repository, I think it will be hard.
|
| Cheers

How about you guys first adding the source code tarball and then working on
the SVN repo?

I suggested git earlier mainly because of the kernel code, but as long as
there is a version control system in place, it is a win. :)

Best regards,
Luis

| On Apr 12, 8:34�am, Douglas Gazineu <dgazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
| > Folks:
| >
| > If you clean the source code from objects and binaries, it should end with
| > ~650MB.
| >
| > By the way, I just added Mendel and Duncan as committers on thehttp://snake-os.googlecode.comwebsite, so you can organize the SVN in a
| > proper way. I had intention to work this out, and almost two years have past
| > since project beginning... The SVN/CVS are not on my skill list. Welcome to
| > you both!
| >
| > Rgds,

| > > removed.

| > > source
| > > the

| > > mendelsongus...@gmail.com>

| > > the

| > read more �

M. Gusmão

May 6, 2011, 2:11:14 PM5/6/11
to DealExtreme NAS
(instead of opening a new topic, I'll use this because what I want is
related to repositories)

I created a GIT/SVN repository to store cross-compiled software for
our NAS. I spent a lot of time trying to find ARMv4 versions of
sqlite, lynx and others (unsuccessfully). The centralized source will
be very useful to someone who might need'em.

The address of the repository is: https://github.com/MendelGusmao/Snake-OS-Software

Please, suggest links of compatible software, so I can upload them to
the repository.

Cheers

Rogério Schneider

May 6, 2011, 8:40:57 PM5/6/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
That is great.

Thanks Gusmão.

I am myself downloading the entire lenny repository from Debian so I can keep a copy here for the armv4 build they provide. That is for making sure I can install software even after they stop supporting armv4 (such as other OSes like Fedora which only support armv7 and newer ones) or when they stop hosting lenny builds.

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Rogério Schneider
http://stockrt.github.com

Duncan McQueen

May 8, 2011, 9:51:37 PM5/8/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I am now trying to build the firmware in Crunchbang linux (to see if
there were issues on my install)

A make clean gives this error:

rm: cannot remove 'include/asm-arch/arch': Is a directory

Is this something that could be why my compiled firmware lack the modules?

Rogério Schneider

May 9, 2011, 8:44:58 AM5/9/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
If I may observe, I notice that the release for SDK 1.3.2 is lacking some symbolic links.
For instance, kernels/linux should be a symbolic link to kernels/linux-2.6.16-gazineu and not a duplicate directory for the same. I think your error message has something to do with that.

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 15, 2011, 6:13:09 PM5/15/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I am adding the 1.1 source to the repo as we speak. I plan on
branching out 1.3.2 and adding in what I have identified as changes
(some of the web, plus transmission and a few other small things).

I imagine we could bring transmission totally up to date (along with
openssh) - any thoughts?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Luis Claudio R. Goncalves
<lcla...@uudg.org> wrote:

> [...]

Duncan McQueen

May 15, 2011, 8:46:00 PM5/15/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
For all you adventurous souls - check out this:

http://code.google.com/p/snake-os/source/browse/#svn%2Fbranches%2F1.3.2

Dmc

May 15, 2011, 10:48:22 PM5/15/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Along these lines - can you enable the source code repository from the
front page of the project?

On May 15, 7:46 pm, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For all you adventurous souls - check out this:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/snake-os/source/browse/#svn%2Fbranches%2F1.3.2

> read more »

robert

May 16, 2011, 6:33:51 AM5/16/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Douncan,

Thanks for your efforts. :)

As it seems size is less than 700 MB Great work.

Regards,
Robert

> tovább »

Rogério Schneider

May 16, 2011, 8:40:50 AM5/16/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, indeed Duncan made it!

I was trying to understand Snake-OS source to put it in github but had no time even to build it correctly in my machine.

Let's see how it goes. Great work Duncan. (svn co done here!)

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 16, 2011, 9:42:26 AM5/16/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Be prepared for missing files and the like. I took the last 1.1
source, imported it, and then did a directory diff to see what was
missing / changed with the 1.3.2 source. I then copied over what
appeared to be new on 1.3.2 (mostly Transmission and some new web
interface files). If anyone else knows of a changelog of what is new
in 1.3.2, I am anxious to hear it.

My plan is to get the 1.3.2 branch working (and test out the 1.1 which
should work), perhaps update transmission and openssh then fold it
back in to mainline. Then we can work on additional enhancements.

Duncan McQueen

May 16, 2011, 9:50:14 PM5/16/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Here is my first issue - when I compile I get this:

#dd if=/home/dwmcqueen/Projects/snake-os/output/jffs2.img
of=/home/dwmcqueen/Projects/snake-os/output/jffs2Image obs=1M seek=2
dd if=/home/dwmcqueen/Projects/snake-os/output/rootfs.jffs2
of=/home/dwmcqueen/Projects/snake-os/output/jffs2Image obs=1M seek=2
dd: opening `/home/dwmcqueen/Projects/snake-os/output/rootfs.jffs2':
No such file or directory
make: *** [kernel] Error 1

So - how do I build rootfs.jffs2 ??

Duncan McQueen

May 17, 2011, 3:39:29 PM5/17/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Any have any luck compiling from the svn directory?

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 2:40:31 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Same here.

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 2:47:00 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I notice that there were files dups on 1.3.2 (that zip file floating around, not your svn) due to, perhaps, wrong handling on symbolic links:

kernels/linux                                 (was not a symlink to linux-2.6.16-gazineu!)
kernels/linux-2.6.16-gazineu

Also notice that have handled it correctly in the svn repo:

snake-os/trunk $
kernels/linux -> linux-2.6.16-gazineu
kernels/linux-2.6.16-gazineu

That is great, reduced lots of the source code. Still, can't compile.

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 9:47:32 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
That rootfs.jffs2 just isn't there - so anyone know:

1. What it is? and
2. How to build it?

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 10:39:07 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
That should be built by the ./mk*sh process.

Somehow it is failing silently to build, even in the second run (someone mention in the wiki that the first should fail just in that very step, and the second run should work).

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 10:45:13 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I don't see where it builds it in that script. I could never get it
to build, but the 1.3.2 package seemed to have it already there so.

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 10:55:37 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
A make clean just removes it, that is a problem too.

rootfs must be built on make time, or your changes, say, busybox update, will not reflect in the new firmware.

rootfs is you / in the firmware

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 11:00:12 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Yep - so what part of that script builds it? Also, where is our
fearless leader so he can update the Google project to reflect the
code repository?? :)

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 11:03:14 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Is it the make_rootfs in Makefile that does this? Mine errors out on
that (make make_rootfs)...

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 11:08:33 AM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Looks like this does it:

sudo $(TOOLS_DIR)/mkfs.jffs2 -d $(TARGET_ROOT) -o $(JFFS2_NAME) -p
${ROOTFS_SIZE} -X zlib
# Added by gazineu
sudo $(TOOLS_DIR)/sumtool -n -i $(JFFS2_NAME) -o $(JFFS2_NAME).sum
dd if=/dev/zero of=$(ROOTFS_JFFS2) bs=$(shell printf "%d"
${ROOTFS_SIZE}) count=1
# dd if=$(JFFS2_NAME).sum of=$(ROOTFS_JFFS2) conv=notrunc
dd if=$(JFFS2_NAME) of=$(ROOTFS_JFFS2) conv=notrunc

(Makefile)
where:

JFFS2_NAME := $(OUTPUT_PATH)/jffs2.img
JFFS2_IMAGE := $(OUTPUT_PATH)/jffs2Image
ROOTFS_JFFS2 := $(OUTPUT_PATH)/rootfs.jffs2
TARGET_ROOT := $(ROOTFS_DIR)/target
ROOTFS_SIZE=0x2a0000

Drnoone

May 18, 2011, 3:18:12 PM5/18/11
to DealExtreme NAS
It creates a filesystem suitable for a flash. In debian/ubuntu it's on
the package mtd-tools which is funny because I've use other tools on
that package to copy sound images for my QS7 keyboard and I couldn't
remember the last time I needed it!

On May 18, 10:47 am, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That rootfs.jffs2 just isn't there - so anyone know:
>
> 1.  What it is? and
> 2.  How to build it?
>
> 2011/5/18 Rogério Schneider <stoc...@gmail.com>:
>

> > I notice that there were files dups on 1.3.2 (that zip file floating around,
> > not your svn) due to, perhaps, wrong handling on symbolic links:
>
> > kernels/linux                                 (was not a symlink to
> > linux-2.6.16-gazineu!)
> > kernels/linux-2.6.16-gazineu
>
> > Also notice that have handled it correctly in the svn repo:
>
> > snake-os/trunk $
> > kernels/linux -> linux-2.6.16-gazineu
> > kernels/linux-2.6.16-gazineu
>
> > That is great, reduced lots of the source code. Still, can't compile.
>
> > Regards,
> > Rogério Schneider
>
> > On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Duncan McQueen <dwmcqu...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Be prepared for missing files and the like.  I took the last 1.1
> >> source, imported it, and then did a directory diff to see what was
> >> missing / changed with the 1.3.2 source.  I  then copied over what
> >> appeared to be new on 1.3.2 (mostly Transmission and some new web
> >> interface files).  If anyone else knows of a changelog of what is new
> >> in 1.3.2, I am anxious to hear it.
>
> >> My plan is to get the 1.3.2 branch working (and test out the 1.1 which
> >> should work), perhaps update transmission and openssh then fold it
> >> back in to mainline.  Then we can work on additional enhancements.

> read more »

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 3:46:55 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
So - the Makefile is where it is created? If we don't have mtd-tools
installed could that be a reason it is not created?

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 6:11:00 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Spotted.

I believe the "sudo" calls is causing the issues if your user, the one which issued "make", does not have a password-less sudo permission.

Try this **with caution**:
$ su -
# visudo
youruser ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL
# exit
$ make

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 6:15:12 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Do we need to figure out a way around that? Do they need to be sudo.?

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 6:57:25 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure, but I believe that those steps must be run as root due to mkfs.

Let's try it, with the sudoers trick I sent and without using sudo at all.

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 7:38:52 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I missed the "sudo su - became root" step in the wiki before...that
was my fault.

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 7:53:50 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind - I think mtd-tools needs to be installed. Now I get the
Rootfs too big thing again, but at least progress.

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 7:57:08 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I get this error:

KERNEL WILL FIT: 978780 bytes LESS THAN 983040 bytes
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
983040 bytes (983 kB) copied, 0.0200345 s, 49.1 MB/s
1911+1 records in
1911+1 records out
978780 bytes (979 kB) copied, 0.0469324 s, 20.9 MB/s

Any suggestions on parsing down rootfs?

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 8:00:42 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - full message is:

KERNEL WILL FIT: 978780 bytes LESS THAN 983040 bytes
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
983040 bytes (983 kB) copied, 0.0200345 s, 49.1 MB/s
1911+1 records in
1911+1 records out
978780 bytes (979 kB) copied, 0.0469324 s, 20.9 MB/s

ROOTFS TOO BIG: 2818048 bytes BIGGER THAN 2752512 bytes - ABORTING

Duncan McQueen

May 18, 2011, 11:43:02 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Well, my build worked once. After a clean I tried again and got the
error about the jffs file. I think the issue is make rootfs isn't
getting executed everytime. I'll investigate more.

Rogério Schneider

May 18, 2011, 11:49:19 PM5/18/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I was able to build this way:

make clean
./mk_snakeos_image.sh
make gen_rootfs
./mk_snakeos_image.sh
Running everything as root with sudoers password-less for that user.

Perhaps we could inform the user:
- build as root
Also, we may remove that nonsense sudo calls, if are building with root whatsoever.

:)

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 19, 2011, 12:01:18 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Yep - I got the same thing.

All works! Except too big of a rootfs error I got. But I removed
transmission and all was well.

Duncan McQueen

May 19, 2011, 12:03:03 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I got it to work without the passwordless sudoers...as long as I was root

Rogério Schneider

May 19, 2011, 12:03:14 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we can fix, document better the steps?

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 19, 2011, 12:07:29 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Just did.

BTW - who is in charge of the Google Project? need the source code
repository up there!!

Rogério Schneider

May 19, 2011, 12:10:55 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Gusmão?

Duncan McQueen

May 19, 2011, 8:14:42 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, Douglas Gazineu
I updated the Wiki to be clear on the steps we took to build (and link
to the code repository).

I successfully built a 1.3.2 firmware (although size was an issue, but
stripping out transmission worked). Anyone else get 1.3.2 to compile?
I'd like to fold that source back into main part from the branch then
we have a clean source to build on.

So, basically my next steps (in no order) are this:

1. See if there is any advantage to folding in the kernel patches
against a later kernel.
2. Investigating a simple package management system - this may allow
the rootfs to be smaller, while moving transmission and other packages
to a cleaner area.
3. See what other code changes are necessary to address current issues.

Rogério Schneider

May 19, 2011, 9:25:44 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com, Douglas Gazineu
I made it with 1.1.0

I will try compile your 1.3.2 branch latter at home.

Regards,
Rogério Schneider

Duncan McQueen

May 19, 2011, 9:46:12 AM5/19/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Great - try my steps (without the passwordless sudo mode), because I
think it is unnecessary. I believe someone to get 1.3.2 full, we need
to compress something down but not sure.

Anyways - progress is fun/

robert

May 20, 2011, 3:19:45 AM5/20/11
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Duncan.

You made a huge work !!!
Thanks for all that.

You have lots of energy! I admire all people having that... :)

> I updated the Wiki to be clear on
I checked http://code.google.com/p/snake-os/wiki/FAQ
downloading step takes:
svn http://code.google.com/p/snake-os/source
If yes please correct it to help beginners... :)

Regards, Robert

Duncan McQueen

May 20, 2011, 8:26:18 AM5/20/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
If anyone of you are checking out the source from my "1.3.2" branch,
be warned that I am a bit active in that area. I updated dropbear
(the SSH server) to the latest version, removed transmission
(temporarily due to space), and added a package manager.

Anyone want to voluntary to:

1. Figure out where we can host opkg files (maybe on the project but
need a repository)
2. Start building opkg files for snake os?

I'd like to see Transmission go as an opkg and run from the attached drive.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

May 21, 2011, 3:21:14 PM5/21/11
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com

That's awesome, guys!! You rock!!

I've been playing with snakeos since last december and it is awesome!

I even could compile a newer version of Transmission and sshserver (dropbear, so I could use ssh port forwarding).

I'm totally +1 to the idea of having a lot of apps which can be run from the harddisk.

I would even go further by suggesting the base system to be the smaller possible with all the apps installed in the hdd. Maybe only ssh server ahd busybox installed? This way, I think we wouldn't ever hit the size limit of the image, also, this would give an easier install/update process, if needed. ( I mean, mostly of the time, the user is concerned with updated APPS instead of updated busybox or kernel.)

Also, with the loadable kernel module features, we could provide even more features without needing to have to reflash the system.

For example, I'm looking forward be able to load the cifs kernel module so I can talk to a storage I have here through smb. I think that with this source release, I may be able to get it compiled now.

My $0.02

Mendelson Gusmão

Apr 19, 2014, 12:37:22 PM4/19/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys! What's up?

I'm having some nice ideas to make Snake OS better, but I'm struggling to deal with SVN. After using GIT for two years I really feel uncomfortable when I have to type svn.

The way it works, with commits being pushed directly to the repository as they happen, in conjunction with the way that SVN deals with branches (full copy of the trunk) really makes the job harder. To think twice before committing, with the fear of screwing up something is bad.

A think that migrating to GIT and Github is a good step with a long list of advantages.

- Branches for everything, from small fixes to big refactorings. The simplicity of its branching system allow us to choose between a huge variety of branching strategies and develop more than one feature at a time.
- With its submodules system we can stop manually downloading the source code of applications bundled with Snake OS.
- Github and your strong community are a plus when we talk about gathering new contributors and making the system popular and open to changes as new simple devices are released. We won't need to get out of Google Code. Instead, it would be a mirror.
- We can automate the builds with Travis CI. Also, if we somehow implement basic tests within a QEMU environment, it turns easy to offer the latest versions of the bundled applications. Not only about having new features, but building a more secure system.

One issue with Github is the limitation of the repository's size. If we push the actual repository, which has more than 1 GB of size, surely we'd receive a notification asking to reduce its size. We need to strip the cross-compiling toolchain binaries and everything that isn't source code to different repositories, as well as removing the compiled images.

My ideas are:

- A modern interface, using recent technologies, such as Ajax and some CSS framework. A few days ago I discovered psDash [ https://github.com/Jahaja/psdash ] and really liked its interface. It should be a great start point.
- A better, centralized way to deal with the many configuration sections. A webserver made on purpose, Ajax and JSON-based, modular (each section has a dynamic loaded module), eliminating the pair httpd+haserl and the need to have shell scripts embedded in HTML.
- A Package Manager like the one in Sublime Text. We host the packages along with an index and they should be instalable directly from Snake's web interface.

These ideas came a bit late and we have a lot of newer devices and software that are clearly better than ours (RasPi is a huge example), but I really love the fun that is to have the pair K330 + Snake OS. The environment constraints are a good challenge for evolving programming skills in the universe of embedded devices. To see recent commits is an stimulus to make it "at home" instead of forking. Also, K330 still sells and it looks like there's already some code to support K340, regarding its WiFi functionality.

If anyone's out there interested in working over this step in the development of the Snake OS, let's start working! If I said something wrong or completable, let's discuss.

Regards,

Fabio de Azevedo Soares

Apr 25, 2014, 11:01:03 PM4/25/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

Great ideas. I´d loke to help.

Regards.

Fábio de Azevedo Soares
fabiode...@gmail.com

Mendelson Gusmão

Apr 27, 2014, 2:23:57 AM4/27/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I did a preliminary migration and created an organization at Github: https://github.com/SnakeOS

There are four repositories:

- firmware
- toolchain
- packages
- packages-index

The "firmware" repository is everything under the trunk, except for the "tools" directory which was moved to "toolchain" repository. The 1.3.2 branch is there too.

The "packages" repository is the same as in svn.

The "packages-index" repository is for future use, when we develop some kind of package manager.

The same directory structure is kept and takes advantage of git's submodules:

- "firmware" has a submodule of "toolchain" under the "tools" directory
- "packages" has a submodule of "firmware" under the "snake-os" directory

As the migration is experimental and I don't have a green signal of the other members to consider the svn repository deprecated, I'm not committing directly into the git repositories, except for fixes for issues that appeared after the migration. Instead, I commit to svn, do a rebase in the git repositories using svn2git and sync to Github.

All commits under git have a dummy e-mail account <svn-committer-email-username>@snakeos.io until everyone has a github account and passes the information to.me. It's pretty easy to change the committer's info of every commit afterwards.

Regards,

Stefan Scheffler

Apr 30, 2014, 10:56:27 AM4/30/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com

Sure why not. Google disabled downloads a while back so we'd need a new
home for those anyway. I was actually thinking of setting up a site
myself, but considering how little activity there is around snake os it
wasn't really a priority.

Am Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb Mendelson Gusmão <mendels...@gmail.com>:

> Hey guys! What's up?
>
> I'm having some nice ideas to make Snake OS better, but I'm
> struggling to deal with SVN. After using GIT for two years I really
> feel uncomfortable when I have to type svn.
>
> The way it works, with commits being pushed directly to the
> repository as they happen, in conjunction with the way that SVN deals
> with branches (full copy of the trunk) really makes the job harder.
> To think twice before committing, with the fear of screwing up
> something is bad.
>
> A think that migrating to GIT and Github is a good step with a long
> list of advantages.
>
> - Branches for everything, from small fixes to big refactorings. The
> simplicity of its branching system allow us to choose between a huge
> variety of branching strategies and develop more than one feature at
> a time.
> - With its submodules system we can stop manually downloading the
> source code of applications bundled with Snake OS.

Isn't this similar to svn externals?

> - Github and your strong community are a plus when we talk about
> gathering new contributors and making the system popular and open to
> changes as new simple devices are released. We won't need to get out
> of Google Code. Instead, it would be a mirror.

I doubt that there will be a whole lot new devices.
The Econa/CNS21XX series seems to have dropped from Caviums product
pages, so they probably aren't even selling them anymore.

> - We can automate the builds with Travis CI. Also, if we somehow
> implement basic tests within a QEMU environment, it turns easy to
> offer the latest versions of the bundled applications. Not only about
> having new features, but building a more secure system.
>
> One issue with Github is the limitation of the repository's size. If
> we push the actual repository, which has more than 1 GB of size,
> surely we'd receive a notification asking to reduce its size. We need
> to strip the cross-compiling toolchain binaries and everything that
> isn't source code to different repositories, as well as removing the
> compiled images.

How does github handle binary downloads? Does everything need to be
built from a repositories? If not one option might be to just pack
up the toolchain in a tarball. You can point the snake os build system
to use an external toolchain with an environment variable so it doesn't
strictly need to be in-tree.

The source for the toolchain is available on cnsusers.org btw. It looks
like just a somewhat patched up buildroot.

> My ideas are:
>
> - A modern interface, using recent technologies, such as Ajax and
> some CSS framework. A few days ago I discovered psDash
> [ https://github.com/Jahaja/psdash ] and really liked its interface.
> It should be a great start point.
> - A better, centralized way to deal with the many configuration
> sections. A webserver made on purpose, Ajax and JSON-based, modular
> (each section has a dynamic loaded module), eliminating the pair
> httpd+haserl and the need to have shell scripts embedded in HTML.

Can you be a little more specific about how this is supposed to work?

The main draw of the httpd+haserl combination is that it's really tiny.
Httpd must be around anyway for the web server function and haserl is
just a few kilobyte in size. Haserl can be compiled with with lua
support if you want to avoid shell scripts.

> - A Package Manager like the one in Sublime Text. We host the
> packages along with an index and they should be instalable directly
> from Snake's web interface.

This is actually possible already. Opkg can install packages from
external repositories (like apt-get). It just needs an interface ..well
and a repository somewhere. Would github be suitable for that?

> These ideas came a bit late and we have a lot of newer devices and
> software that are clearly better than ours (RasPi is a huge example),
> but I really love the fun that is to have the pair K330 + Snake OS.
> The environment constraints are a good challenge for evolving
> programming skills in the universe of embedded devices. To see recent
> commits is an stimulus to make it "at home" instead of forking. Also,
> K330 still sells and it looks like there's already some code to
> support K340, regarding its WiFi functionality.

AFAIK the K340 is completely different hardware. I don't think it
will run on those any time soon. The wifi stuff in svn is for usb
adapters. See: https://code.google.com/p/snake-os/issues/detail?id=62

Stefan Scheffler

Apr 30, 2014, 12:38:18 PM4/30/14
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com

Ok, the actual toolchain is under tools/arm-uclibc-3.4.6 though. The
rest are just auxiliary files. Most of them aren't even needed.

After a quick look the ones that are referenced somewhere are:

depmod.pl - at some point some new version of depmod started to hardwire
some path components so this was a replacement. maybe that
has changed

sumtool - comes with mtd-utils. so it's actually redundant because
we depend on mtd-utils for mkfs.jffs2 already

usb_device.bin - some optional u-boot code. I'm not sure what this does.
strings in the binary and u-boot suggest that it's for
booting via usb or something like that

The rest could probably go.

There's also a newer version of u-boot under
https://code.google.com/p/snake-os/source/browse/u-boot
It runs and can load snake from flash, network and usb. But it's
still experminental. I don't know if you want to add it.

How could I get added to the project? I'm not familiar with github and
my knowledge of git is pretty basic too..

Am Sat, 26 Apr 2014 23:23:57 -0700 (PDT)