Translation

Steve Attwood

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Ok chaps and lasses,
I have just had some English text translated in to German and it is full
of U A O's with little dots on top.
Now when I look at you German text in these pages you don't have any of
these little buggers.
So can some clever person educate in the finer points of writen German

steve

Jérôme Waibel

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In article <32331D...@dial.pipex.com>,

It's just because the newssoftware of some people is too old, dumb and
braindead to deal with 'Umlauts' (those little buggers), so they think
"if I can't read it, the others won't be able, too" and substitute
them: ä -> ae, ö -> oe, ü -> ue

Needless to say that a common standard for encoding special characters
has been created a long time ago, but as noone uses it noone fixes the
broken software, and as noone fixes the broken software noone starts to
use it :-(

--
Jerome Waibel (noch 17674 Tage zu leben) XV 1100, neuer ABK 7.8 _=o&\o_
Tel. ++49-721-9563089 rrr#72, KotABKL, KotodrmHuPT

Joerg Neulist

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

Steve Attwood wrote:

> Ok chaps and lasses,
> I have just had some English text translated in to German and it is full
> of U A O's with little dots on top.
> Now when I look at you German text in these pages you don't have any of
> these little buggers.
> So can some clever person educate in the finer points of writen German
>
> steve

These §$%§ little buggers are extended 8-bit ASCII and are guaranteed to
be swallowed by some malevolent router on their way. So we normally
substitute them by ae, oe and ue. Look out for them, you'll find a lot
of them.

Grüße,
Jörg

PS: if the above reads: "Gre, Jrg" then what happened was exactly what I
said. Try this one:

Gruesse,
Joerg
--
"Love is the Dance of Eternity"
Dream Theater: "Metropolis Part I"

petra hauser

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Steve Attwood <hl...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Ok chaps and lasses,
>I have just had some English text translated in to German and it is full
>of U A O's with little dots on top.
>Now when I look at you German text in these pages you don't have any of
>these little buggers.
>So can some clever person educate in the finer points of writen German

>steve

Poor Steve. Germans have the possibility to write instead of A O U
with little dots on the top AE OE UE, it means the same, but for
typing machines or computers in foreign countries the only possibility
to write in German.

Petra

Tore Stelzner

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Steve Attwood wrote in de.rec.motorrad about "Translation":

> Ok chaps and lasses,
> I have just had some English text translated in to German and it is full
> of U A O's with little dots on top.
> Now when I look at you German text in these pages you don't have any of
> these little buggers.
> So can some clever person educate in the finer points of writen German
> steve

Hoi,
der liebe Steve wollte wohl eine Kontrolle und noetigenfalls eine
Berichtigung seiner selbst uebersetzten Seiten. Kein Thema.

Da er auf diesen Seiten allerdings ein Produkt (fuer Kohle) anbietet
mag er diese Kontrollen selbst durchfuehren.
Tschoe, Tore
PS You get, what you pay for.