QUESTION: Differences between processors?

Randeep Singh Bhatia

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of buying my first notebook computer. I've
noticed
that there is a significant price difference between different
processors marked at the same clock speed. eg: PentiumII300 is
costlier
than P300MMX, which is costlier than Celeron300, which in turn is
costlier than AMD K6 300.

My question is: Is there a real performance difference between
these
processors? What should I go for?

My main needs are Internet, Multimedia intensive games,
using the notebook for entertainment purpose (watching VCDs,
playing
Audio Cds, etc.)?

I'm inclining towards P300MMX. Any suggestions about the Notebooks?
I'm
not at all planning on doing any upgradation or anything else on
the
notebook. I want to buy one off the shelf plug into the net and
enjoy
the games.

Also which pointing system is the best, the small stick (like
Toshiba)
or the touchpad (like Sony)?

Please copy my e-mail addy while replying.

Thanks,
Randeep
--
"If you are too tired to go out tonight, just think how you'll feel at
seventy three."

Bodo Müller

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Hello

Firs of all: You made two mistakes in posting. the .de groops are German
language groops, andt the Markt groop is not for dicussion.

>I am in the process of buying my first notebook computer. I've
>noticed
>that there is a significant price difference between different
>processors marked at the same clock speed. eg: PentiumII300 is
>costlier
>than P300MMX, which is costlier than Celeron300, which in turn is
>costlier than AMD K6 300.

You already ordered the processors by price, I´ll try to order them by
other criteria:

Preformance:
PII -> Celeron -> AMD K6 ->intel mmx
The first two are almost equal, the tame goes for the last two, as long 3D
now is not implemented in the software.

Power consumption: Here a lot depends on the production process of the
processors. Normaly the Intel MMX and the Celeron are the best choice.

From the porcessing point the celeron seems to be the best choice.

Multimedia:
If your definition of mutimedia includes 3D games, than the graphic chip is
much more importent, than the processor preformance! a good choice would be
the ATI rage pro or better still the S3 Savage4 processor for Notebooks.
The Savage should be implemented in new models in the next few weeks )
Bothe these chips support DVD decoding with Hardware !

>Also which pointing system is the best, the small stick (like
>Toshiba)
>or the touchpad (like Sony)?

Ther is no Answer to this one. You have to choose py yuor on preferences
Mayby you can try it , where You plan to by the Notebook. I Personaly
prefere the stick.

Greetings
Bodo

Suche immer noch folgende Hardware:
Festplattenelektronik für: 1.: Quantum Atlas 1 2.:Seagate ST 1581N
sowie: Z-Server MX 4000 Festplattenrahmen ( Oder kompatibel)
Mail an Bodo.Müll...@Stud.uni-hannover.de Danke
-