Is it a routing issue, web/mail server through adsl modem router?

john

May 6, 2004, 7:53:43 AM5/6/04
I want to set up a small web/email server in my home/office. I will need to
get a static ip address for this, but need to know what needs to be done
before hand.

Say I get an external (static) ip address 11.22.33.44 and delegate my domain
name to it.

The ip address will be on the external side of my ADSL modem/router, which
links to my local internal netork. how do I set up things so when someone
opens 11.22.33.44 in the web browser, which points to the router, to have it
pass on to my local network address, eg 10.0.0.1 which is where the web
server will reside.

Here is my current setup (except external ip of 11.22.33.44) below

webserver router (Alcatel SpeedTouch530)
10.0.0.1 10.0.0.138 11.22.33.44
|____| ----------- |_____________| -------------ADSL------ISP

Many thanks
Mike

Martin Hotze

May 6, 2004, 2:42:08 PM5/6/04
"john" <bpbb...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
^^^^^^^

are you sure you are right here? this is a german speaking group.

> I want to set up a small web/email server in my home/office. I will need to
> get a static ip address for this, but need to know what needs to be done
> before hand.
>
> Say I get an external (static) ip address 11.22.33.44 and delegate my domain
> name to it.

you don't delegate a domain to an IP address.

> The ip address will be on the external side of my ADSL modem/router, which
> links to my local internal netork. how do I set up things so when someone
> opens 11.22.33.44 in the web browser, which points to the router, to have it
> pass on to my local network address, eg 10.0.0.1 which is where the web
> server will reside.

you want to look up "DMZ" and/or "portforwarding" in the manual of your router.

> Here is my current setup (except external ip of 11.22.33.44) below
>
> webserver router (Alcatel SpeedTouch530)
> 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.138 11.22.33.44
>
> Many thanks
> Mike

#m

--
Secret Service agents questioned a high-school student here about anti-war
drawings he turned in to his art teacher.