What can I cook for less than $5???

1 view

Jasper Tiler

Mar 28, 2009, 11:07:45 PM3/28/09
I want to cook something delicious, but I do not
have a big budget. It must be for 2 persons and
it must be tasty and it must not cost more than
$5.

What can I cook for less than $5???

Serene Vannoy

Mar 28, 2009, 11:10:17 PM3/28/09

Red beans and rice and a green salad.

A big pot of split-pea soup with a hambone or a few slices of bacon.

Stir-fried chicken or tofu and veggies over rice.

A bunch of spaghetti with any number of sauces or oil-based "tosses".

What kind of food were you thinking of?

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Steve Pope

Mar 28, 2009, 11:22:12 PM3/28/09
Jasper Tiler <slimie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Fresh pasta with green garlic (in season now), olive
oil, and lemon juice. (Assuming you have olive oil on hand.)

Heck, you could cook that for $3 probably.

Steve

Bobo Bonobo®

Mar 28, 2009, 11:27:44 PM3/28/09

This guy posts one post to each diverse NG. If not a troll, he's a
time waster.

Google Groups are good for something. Goodnight r.f.cooking

--Bryan

Victor Sack

Mar 29, 2009, 12:06:36 AM3/29/09
[malicious crossposting elided]

Serene Vannoy <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:

[snipped]

For God's sake, Serene, don't you ever notice crosspostings?

Get a better newsreader.

Victor

James Silverton

Mar 29, 2009, 8:05:34 AM3/29/09

I don't know about absolutely delicious but you can make miso soup for
two for under $5. Miso and Japanese dried Hon-dashi stock keep for ever.
A large number of vegetables can be included.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Message has been deleted

Joseph Littleshoes

Mar 29, 2009, 2:38:53 PM3/29/09

James Silverton wrote:
> Jasper wrote on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:07:45 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> I want to cook something delicious, but I do not
>> have a big budget. It must be for 2 persons and
>> it must be tasty and it must not cost more than
>> $5.
>

>> What can I cook for less than $5???
>

> I don't know about absolutely delicious but you can make miso soup for
> two for under $5. Miso and Japanese dried Hon-dashi stock keep for ever.
> A large number of vegetables can be included.

I routinely make a big tossed green salad with marinated chicken for 2
for under $5.00.

Assuming the oil, vinegar and garbonzoes are 'on hand' and need not be
purchased... I once calculated that a cup of vinaigrette after the
initial purchase of the oil & vinegar costs about .20¢ per cup iirc.

The boneless, skinless breast of chicken is $1.30 per pound, 1 pound is
sufficient for 2 people.

Broccoli, green onions, tomatoes, lettuce, green and/or red sweet
pepper, garbonzoes (shouldn't be more than a dollar in a can 50¢ per
pound dried).

Simmer the chicken in water till done, cut up into bite sized pieces and
marinate in a nice vinaigrette for 20 minutes.

Cut up the veggies, toss with the garbonzoes & vinaigrette and serve the
chicken either tossed with or on the side of the salad.

If desired an orange at about 10¢ per orange may have the rind cut off
and the orange sliced and added to the salad.

A few slices of bread, buttered and sprinkled with herbs & garlic
granules can then be cut up and toasted in the oven for 'croutons.'

One secret to a 'delicious' salad is to cut the veggies into very small
pieces. A 'fine dice' of all the veggies allows for a better combining
of all the various flavors.

Using a very sharp knife cut the head of broccoli in half, lay the half
head on its flat side and slice through the broccoli in 1/8 - 1/4 inch
slices, this crumbles up very nicely.

Cut the green onions in half length wise before slicing into 1/4 inch
lengths.

A VERY SHARP knife is key to this.

I like to squeeze out the juice and seeds of a diced tomato and serve
just the tomato flesh in the salad.

Line the serving bowl with whole leaves of lettuce and add roughly
chopped lettuce to the tossed salad.
--
JL

JonquilJan

Mar 29, 2009, 1:38:11 PM3/29/09
"Jasper Tiler" <slimie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Check out some pasta dishes - or vegetarian dishes - beans are good protein
sources - and much less costly than meats.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Omelet

Mar 29, 2009, 6:02:25 PM3/29/09
In article
<c369c675-61ce-49b4...@b16g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Jasper Tiler <slimie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Good lord. What I can think up for this would take up a text book!

Yeesh.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

brooklyn1

Mar 29, 2009, 5:22:49 PM3/29/09
"Joseph Littleshoes" wrote:

>> Jasper wrote:
>>
>>> I want to cook something delicious, but I do not
>>> have a big budget. It must be for 2 persons and
>>> it must be tasty and it must not cost more than
>>> $5.
>>

>>> What can I cook for less than $5???
>

> I routinely make a big tossed green salad with marinated chicken for 2 for
> under $5.00.

When you say green salad you mean green literally, just lettuce and nothing
else. For $5 you're talking two small side dishes, not enough to call it a
meal... whaddaya, dive into the produce dumpster...

> Assuming the oil, vinegar and garbonzoes are 'on hand' and need not be
> purchased...

What kinda uniform commercial accounting system is that... wait'll you get
audited... hey, you gotta deduct those from the $5... or else you may as
well treat your guest to din-din at the local soup kitchen.

> I once calculated that a cup of vinaigrette after the initial purchase of
> the oil & vinegar costs about .20¢ per cup iirc.

What kinda oil, crankcase, used? Even the cheapest olive oil runs $1/cup,
maybe even more since my last purchase, was $17/3 liter can, and that for
store brand generic olive oil, I use it for general cooking... decent Goya
EVOO I use for salads, dipping, and other no-cook usage I pay like $17/pint.

If Jasper is really poor as he implies you should volunteer to take him
shopping with you, show him how you fill your pockets with free salad
dressing packets and other condiments at the fast food joints... and while
yer at it teach him how you nonchalantly palm the partially eaten bits off
the tables. LOL

For $6 one can buy a good sized whole roasting chicken ( I usually cut em in
eighths and bake em in a roasting pan, quicker cooking and less effort
serving), another buck will cover 4 medium russets to pop in the oven with
the chicken (either baked in jackets or wedged and roasted with the
chicken), and another buck will cover a bag of store brand frozen mixed veg
for the nuker.... now you spent $8 and have four decent meals for two (two
days dinners worth) and $2 left for incidentals... I bought a good sized
cantaloupe last week for $1.99, even though I ate half at a time it woulda
made four portions. I guess yoose drinking plain water. It's very
difficult to feed two adults something delicious and filling on $5) a kid's
happy meal at the Arches is $5. And it's not fair to swipe stuff that may
already be in the larder unless its cost is deducted from the $5.... I mean
I don't even need to shop and I can easy feed a hundred with what I have on
hand... and in fact the larger the quantity the less costly per and the
better the choices. I don't ever cook just enough for me for one meal
unless it's like fixing a sandwich or a bowl of ramen. I always cook enough
to feed me at least three times and three times left overs for freezing, and
that's a bare minimum. Even when I cook roasting chickens I always make two
big ones, it's not a lotta LOs... I got six cats that that won't eat beef
stew but they love chicky.

Ms P

Mar 29, 2009, 11:15:24 PM3/29/09

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article
> <c369c675-61ce-49b4...@b16g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> Jasper Tiler <slimie...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to cook something delicious, but I do not
>> have a big budget. It must be for 2 persons and
>> it must be tasty and it must not cost more than
>> $5.
>>
>> What can I cook for less than $5???
>
> Good lord. What I can think up for this would take up a text book!
>
> Yeesh.
> --
> Peace! Om

You and me both!! I spent years feeding myself and two kids on way less
than that. I still feed hubby and I for that amount just because we like
some of those cheap meals.

Maybe we should write a book!

Ms P

Omelet

Mar 30, 2009, 1:32:27 AM3/30/09
In article <73arudF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Ms P" <ms_pe...@wbsnet.org> wrote:

<laughs> Indeed...

htn963

Apr 3, 2009, 12:11:18 PM4/3/09

This is a delicious and fool-proof recipe I got from my deceased aunt
(I never appreciated her enough when she was alive and we often didn't
get along, but she had many good qualities*):

One long generic sausage such as those from Alberto's, et al.

One bottle ketshup

One large onion

Slice the sausage and onion thinly and put them in a pan. Pour in the
whole bottle of ketshup, heat until the juices from the sausage seep
out, the ketshup thickens, and the onion pieces are cooked. Good as
is, or serve with bread or rice.

(She also had the idea of mixing coke with milk. It sounded weird to
me at first, but it didn't taste bad at all, and makes a good
substitute for chocolate milk.)

--
Ht

Michael Trew

Sep 8, 2021, 11:15:50 PM9/8/21
On 3/29/2009 12:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Beef gonads are only $3/lb
>
> -sw

What are beef Gonads?

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 8, 2021, 11:30:28 PM9/8/21
Rocky Mountain Oysters

Graham

Sep 9, 2021, 12:33:55 AM9/9/21
Prairie oysters!

Michael Trew

Sep 9, 2021, 1:17:26 AM9/9/21
Thanks.. you guys solved a 12 year old question in quick time; lol