[Announce] DDMSence 2.0.0 released

Brian Uri!

Dec 1, 2011, 6:11:48 PM12/1/11
to ddms...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

DDMSence v2.0.0 is now available for download. This is a stable, major release which adds support for the latest version of the DoD Discovery Metadata Specification, which is 4.0.1. It is not backwards compatible with previous versions of DDMSence, but I have provided an upgrade guide for developers who need to migrate old code. I will also be glad to help you with your migration.

Coding on this release was actually finished back in September. While I was waiting for the ISM/NTK Public Release files to become available for bundling, a technical flaw related to ISM:pocType was identified in DDMS 4.0. The DDMS team released 4.0.1 as a bug fix a couple weeks ago, and organizations are now being encouraged to use 4.0.1 rather than the "broken" 4.0. Because I had not yet released anything, I opted to skip the broken version completely. So, DDMSence out of the box supports DDMS 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, and 4.0.1.
Looking ahead, the Universal Core (UCore) Council recently voted on a plan for development which requires several enhancements to DDMS. Much like the IRM-DDMS convergence that resulted in DDMS 4.0, it is anticipated that augmenting DDMS will eliminate the functional overlap that the UCore specification shares with DDMS. Should these change requests be accepted and implemented by the DDMS community, I would expect to see a new version of DDMS (and thus, begin working on a new version of DDMSence) in the first half of 2012.

As always, I welcome your feedback on the library, as well as suggestions for future functionality. Thank you for supporting the growing adoption of DDMSence!

Regards,
BU