Commit Message Guidelines Reminder

vinama...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 4:43:27 PM1/24/19
to ddf-developers

A quick reminder to all our contributors and committers to make sure we're staying in line with our commit message guidelines on pull requests as described here: https://codice.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDF/pages/71946981/Pull+Request+Guidelines

With a bunch of new contributors and committers joining the team, it's important to make sure we have meaningful commit messages and well written tickets so that the context of our work is clear and easy to understand.

Here are a few quick reminders for committers before merging PRs:

  • Remove any non-ticket number prefixes before merging (e.g. [2.13.x], [WIP])
  • Make sure the commit message is in the proper format (DDF-XXXX A good title)
  • Ensure the title and description describe the code changes well
  • Double check that the commit title has the correct ticket number
After clicking the merge button, Github will prompt you to input a new commit title and message if the current one is not appropriate or does not follow our guidelines.
When in doubt, refer to our Pull Request Guidelines (https://codice.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDF/pages/71946981/Pull+Request+Guidelines). You can also find many other great resources on this confluence site, such as how to write better commit messages and things to look for in code review.