Event Sourcing with AWS Services?

peterm...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2021, 12:29:32 AM8/4/21
to DDD/CQRS
A collaborator on a new project is making an argument for using all AWS services. The benefits of a fully managed data store are quite persuasive. Has anyone here made a reasonably easy to implement and performant event store on AWS using DynamoDB, Aurora, or one of AWS's other data store options? Or is it a sad thing to try to do, pure hackery, and destined to result in a subpar event store?

Thanks.

Peter

radhakris...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2021, 2:08:08 AM8/9/21
to DDD/CQRS
I haven't done this but attempted to store events. This wasn't a event store containing events that we can replay but that was just  our requirement.
Some AWS services like SNS can route events to lambdas automatically. We just have to configure a lambda as a subscriber. So when messages
are sent the lambda can use Kinesis client library to push events to a Kinesis Data Stream. The data stream is connected to a Kinesis Delivery Stream
which can store the events in many datastores. I stored it in RedShift. But RedShift as far as I know is a huge warehouse.

The kinesis client library is Java code we can use in other places too.

Thanks

Fabian Schmied

Aug 15, 2021, 8:47:53 AM8/15/21
to DDD/CQRS
I'm not using AWS, but maybe this is helpful anyway. We're currently running an event store on Azure SQL via NEventStore (https://github.com/NEventStore/NEventStore - .NET-based). While using a SQL database for storing events is probably not the perfect solution, it's working well for us.

If you want an optimized event store, you could host Greg Young's event store in AWS, see https://www.eventstore.com/event-store-cloud .

Best regards,
Fabian