How to fan in multiple streams for projections while maintaining a decent global order?

reda laanait

Feb 25, 2023, 2:56:36 PM2/25/23
to DDD/CQRS
My initial thinking is to buffer and re-order events based on their timestamp (as a fallback) within a tumbling window.

I'm still shaping my thinking and figuring out some complexities, e.g., dealing with stream-lagging-related issues.

I'm curious to know if any well-known algorithms exist to solve this.

Note: I find out that EventStoreDB already supports this (link). But I couldn't easily see the logic behind it in the git repo :)

Reda

Yves Lorphelin

Mar 24, 2023, 10:46:10 AM3/24/23
to DDD/CQRS

Well , the logic there is a bit special since it's about reading from actual multiple streams and there are some optimization done for this case.
The _real_ thing being that EventStoreDB actually guarantees global ordering at the storage level