Community Access Report - We need Accountability!

Cheryl Felak

Mar 18, 2012, 1:19:06 AM3/18/12
to DD Coalition
Hi All,

A new report from the workgroup assigned to looking at Community Access has been published.  It has some very critical information in it which are useful.

It would benefit us all if administrators in DDD would read the group discussions and understand what many of these stakeholders are talking out.

Advocates are becoming more educated with regards to the misleading information which DDD reports to the public and legislators.  Please see the link for comments regarding critical information about our continued crisis and some solutions.

Thank you,

Cheryl Felak, RN, BSN
Because We Care - Beyond Inclusion

Please let me know if you do not want to be on this information email list.

Alice L Hardman

Mar 18, 2012, 4:18:20 PM3/18/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheryl,

Excellent work and summary.  You are exceptionally talented in getting to the core and explaining it.  Another dimension is who are the ones benefitting from the private care plans.  Investors purchase homes, hire cheap labor and remain
distant.  DDD caseworkers cannot supply the monitoring and considerable deception occurs.

I was in the hospital this past week for a couple days and look like I have been thru a tornado.  I fell in my kitchen following a black out caused by a virus, fatigue and low blood sugar.

Keep up the good work but take good care of yourself first of all.

Alice

pawc...@comcast.net

Mar 19, 2012, 12:00:19 AM3/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

$100,000 appropriated for Rainier State School, Pam Roach says

MARCH 8, 2012 · UPDATED 7:41 PM

Sen. Pam Roach, R-Auburn, said today $100,000 is appropriated in the Senate-passed bipartisan 2012 supplement operating budget for the Rainier School Vision Development Committee.

The committee will create and submit to the Legislature a long-range community vision and development plan for the efficient use of Rainier School facilities to serve the needs of persons with developmental disabilities, including the establishment of a respite care center for those caring for persons with developmental disabilities.

The committee will consist of:

• 31st District legislators;

• Two members of the Friends of Rainer, a recognized support group for families, guardians and friends of residents;

• Two persons representing the Buckley and Enumclaw chambers of commerce; and

• One person representing the Pierce County Developmental Disabilities Board.

“My vision is clear,” Roach said. “I see a facility for respite care, for services shared with the larger community, and an opportunity to give families their mandated choice in care.”

Sen. Roach’s website contains background information and the vision statement for Rainier School developed by the ad hoc committee led by Roach

Cheryl Marshall