Horticulture therapy or gardening for people with DD/ID

1 view

Developmental Disabilities Advocates

May 26, 2012, 10:11:59 PM5/26/12
to DD Coalition
Hi Everyone,

I have won a grant from Seattle Tilth with additional funds from Lowes
Hardware for a mentoring program which builds, furnishes supplies and
6-8 raised beds, rain barrels, tools, seeds and ongoing instruction
for residents at Fircrest.

This is a wonderful opportunity and I'm very excited about proceeding
and I am hoping that the state will allow this project to move
forward. There are no state funds involved and the project will be
self-sustaining through the years. I'm looking forward to
incorporating this into the Active Treatment if possible and also for
this project to engage many residents who do not have family members
active in their lives.

I know there is much written about the great benefits of gardening for
those with DD and have seen proof it it in our own lives but for those
who suffer from burn out and inertia and those who do not understand
benefits of gardening, this project seems impractical and
unnecessary. I totally disagree with this viewpoint but this is the
viewpoint of DDD with regards to having programs such as this at the
RHC.

I'm curious if any of you have used gardening for active treatment,
education or social skills building and what you have learned, what
has worked, what didn't work or any other advice.

Thanks so much,

Cheryl

CMarshall

May 27, 2012, 12:02:45 AM5/27/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! Congratulations. I will ask an employee from Rainier. They had such program. Take a look at Lamb's Farm, N. Virginia too.

cheryl marshall's phone

Chris Hartzog

May 28, 2012, 12:55:45 PM5/28/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Cheryl! Let's hope this moves all the way through DDD. If it hits a wall, maybe it will be time to "get Jesse" to do an investigation.