Community Access Workgroup Questions

Cheryl Felak

Mar 18, 2012, 5:35:01 PM3/18/12
to DD Coalition, Cheryl Felak, marylou....@leg.wa.gov, linda.p...@leg.wa.gov, doug.w...@kingcounty.gov, mahan...@aol.com, jpone...@hotmail.com, dar...@arcswwa.org
Dear Advocates for People with Intellectual Disabilities,

The report from the Community Access Workgroup has been published.

and

are available.

As an advocate for a continuum of care there are some very good points that were raised by the participants. I have some major concerns though with some of the recommendations that came out of this group - these recommendations of concern were not part of the workgroup goals so it is confusing how they even were reported as recommendations.  I believe it is due to the work of The Arc members who are opposed to any form of congregate care.

Personally, I believe it is great to have a platform and to advocate for that but it is also important to report honestly and as accurately as possible.  The Arc, which opposes any form of congregate care and therefore DOES NOT support a continuum of care, uses grossly inaccurate data as reported from DDD as the basis for some of their recommendations.  It would serve us all well to actually take a look at the actual cost information rather than the misleading information that DDD publishes to further the platform of The Arc.

You can see some of the misleading data with links to the accurate data here - If you desire more information regarding this, please let me know.  I have access to original documents from which the accurate data is clear.

At the top of my concerns are:

Below are the members of this workgroup - I have cc'd those for whom I have email addresses for but if any of you know the other members, please forward this letter to them or inform me of their email so that I may contact them.

David Budd
Jeff Bradt
Chris Brandt
Trish Borden
Tamara Burns
Sally Coomer
Representative Mary Lou Dickerson
Bill Gillespie
Mike Hatch
Darla Helt
Kristi Hunziker
John Mahaney
Carrie Morehouse
Joanne O'Neill

Thank you,

Cheryl Felak, RN, BSN
Because We Care - Beyond Inclusion
Seattle, WA

If you want your email address removed from this list - please let me know.