DD Task Force and Admissions Review Team

Developmental Disabilities Advocates

Oct 17, 2012, 5:20:26 PM10/17/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a choice?

Our state has taken away the choice for those under 21 to access some life saving services.  In order to attempt to recieve these services, the person must submit an application for placement which then goes to the Admissions Review Team.  If you look at this link http://www.leg.wa.gov/JointCommittees/DDSSTF/Documents/Sep%2025%202012/92512%20DDD%20INFORMATION%20SHEET%20%20Admission%20Review%20Team%20-%20FINAL.pdf
you will see the data from the applications that have gone to this team in the past year.

12 of the 26 who requested RHC placement were 21 or under.  This is amazing given that we hear from DDD and others that people do not want these services.  Obviously these services are needed and are desired for people.  These families should continue to have the choice for these life saving services.

I can tell you that there are many more who have requested this service from their case manager or the regional DDD manager and were told "no" and an application was never even addressed or filled out.  I sat in on a meeting with a parent (one of those on the list) and Michelle Bauchman, Region 2 Director.  Ms. Bauchman told the mom that her son, who has stabilized at Fircrest, must now leave because our state prohibits those under 21 form utilizing these services long term.

This mom clearly articulated that she had looked at about 8-10 community homes and gave specifics as to why these homes were not safe and moving her son would put his life in jeopardy.  This mom is still continuing to look at community homes but there are no alternatives that are safe for her son.  Ms. Bauchman could only offer that they continue to look and work with the Roads to Community Living Folks and she also suggested a community ICF/ID.  I informed Ms. Bauchman that the community ICF/IDs do not have nursing care nor does one that she mentioned even have nurse delegation - the residents "self-medicate".  She was unaware of this fact and that the services in the community ICF/IDs are not comparable to the services in the state ICF/IDs.

I brought up the issue of "exception to rule" with Ms. Bauchman, who then did say that yes, this family could ask the case manager to fill out the application for long term placement, which would then go to the Admissions Review Team.  This step would never have been brought up if I had not been there to ask since this choice has now been taken away from our families.

I wonder how many more of you out there have requested services at the ICF/ID and been told you can not have them.  We know there are many who did not even make it to the statistical data of submitting an application. DDD only tracks the applications that have been submitted, not the families who have been told "no" in conversations or meetings.

This boy was denied admission.  He is still at Fircrest because there are no alternatives.  DDD has stated though that they will make an exception to the rule and find him his own house with his own caregivers.  This is totally unacceptable for many reasons - mainly this will cause isolation and increased restrictions and will  increase the risk of abuse to this boy given the lack of oversight and high staffing turnover in community homes.  The family is against this option and they are still requesting long term admission.  A request for a Fair Hearing will be the next step.

Why, when the family has requested this safe community ICF/ID home for their son who they see has stabilized due to having adequate supports, is DDD denying them this service?  Why would DDD "offer" an unsafe alternative that would be much more costly to our state when the family doesn't even want that?  This is illogical.  If anyone sees the logic in this, please write and let me know what it is because I don't see it.

Chris Hartzog

Oct 19, 2012, 9:46:49 AM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

During last year's efforts by the Governor and DSHS to close down the Morgan center, DSHS tried to convince us to accept transfer into a SOLA placement. A number of the Morgan center residents were under 21.  Family members asked DSHS how they would assure the same level of care and safety in a SOLA.  DSHS could not provide a convincing answer.  Yesterday, KING 5 news ran a story on repeated abuse and safety violations in SOLAs.  Here is the link to the story:  http://www.king5.com/news/investigators/Repeat-violations-threaten-shut-down-of-group-of-state-run-group-homes-174864591.html

ddadv...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 12:03:17 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
This is horribly tragic and I hope that the DD Task Force will now understand that oversight is much better quality assurance than investigations after the fact. Thank you to KING 5 informing us of these critical issues.

Cheryl

Sent from my iPhone

Les Parker

Oct 19, 2012, 12:27:20 PM10/19/12
to ddadv...@gmail.com, dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
I think given the rules as they are we need to push our legislature to provide a community model that affords the level of support that is offered in the RHC's otherwise there will continue to be gaps in the types of care and different fundamental views until an equal level of care can be provided.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use or disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.
Oct 19, 2012, 1:05:55 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for forwarding this.  I just posted it to my Facebook wall.

Bob Gee

Oct 19, 2012, 2:08:26 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Part of the benefit of the RHC is that it is a community - I know that there are many who do not believe this but for those residents it is a safe community which is the least restrictive for them.   The RHC is the most cost effective system of care for a portion of the population.  People should be free to choos this option since it is an entlement but for those under 21, this choice has been taken away and for others, it is not a choice that is often honored.

Yes, we do need a full continuum and in order to do that we also need to utilize a cost effective model rather than close the cost effective model only to cause increased costs in the community which will then decrease the overall availability of services to all.

It's not just the level of care but the level of oversight that is needed to ensure that our most vulnerable citizens are not taken advantage of, harmed or otherwise not taken care of.

We also need to look at options to raise revenue so that as a state we can live up to our constitution and provide services that we state we do.

Cheryl

DiMichele, Deborah

Oct 19, 2012, 2:46:19 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

Cheryl, part of the problem is that the adult DDD services are not an entitlement in any state in the country. In the schools it is set up as an entitlement and it is up to the schools to search out and serve those who are entitled to the services. In the adult community it is up to the adults with disabilities or their advocates (usually means family) to find and apply for services and then they must continue to do whatever is needed to assure that the services remain in place, which involves continuing to fill out and send in paperwork, set up and go to appointments, follow through on phone calls etc. Many of our students who are graduating from schools do not have the ability to do that for themselves nor do they have family members who can do it for them. Since school services are an entitlement the state is obligated to serve students until they are 21 but there is no such legal obligation for adults so when budgets get cut it is the adult services that go first.

Saskia Davis

Oct 19, 2012, 2:53:40 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, Saskia Davis
@Michelle: Thank you, Michelle, for adding this perspective.  Speaking for myself, it is one that I have not had before and helps to expand my understanding.

> [...]

>> Why, when the family has requested this safe community ICF/ID home for their son who they see has stabilized due to having adequate supports, is DDD denying them this service?  Why would DDD "offer" an unsafe alternative that would be much more costly to our state when the family doesn't even want that?  This is illogical.  If anyone sees the logic in this, please write and let me know what it is because I don't see it.

Saskia Davis

Oct 19, 2012, 2:56:06 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, Saskia Davis
@Cheryl:  Thank you.  I agree 100%.  We actually need to be lobbying for community oversight as well as sustainment, if not augmentation, of the RHC system.

Saskia Davis

Oct 19, 2012, 3:00:20 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, Saskia Davis
Chris,
May have your permission to post your intro to the report on my Facebook wall?
Thanks,
Saskia

ddadv...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 3:19:47 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, Saskia Davis
Thank you for this information. All the more reason to let people know that if one dies live in a community supported living home personal funds are used for food/rent and cost if care - from my understanding DSHS will not allow funds for these folks to be used for a professional guardian. so who helps manage these folks-particularly those who do not have family who can help?

Yes, one the child leaves the school system they need other help to step in and let them know what choices they have.

Cheryl

Sent from my iPhone

ddadv...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 3:21:40 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Yes, DDD services are not an entitlement but the RHC is. That is the only part of the adult DDD system that is I believe yet people's choices to utilize this are not suggested or offered.

Sent from my iPhone

DiMichele, Deborah

Oct 19, 2012, 3:56:53 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

I don’t know where you’re getting your information but I don’t believe RHC’s are operated on an entitlement basis. They should be a choice that parents/guardians/advocates are informed about but there is no entitlement as far as I know. The concept of entitlement has to do with funding and legal rights at the state level.

ddadv...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 4:29:40 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure someone on this list can clarify but it had to do with CMS. When I get home and am able to get better resources than I can do on my phone I will get the information for you unless someone else answers. But, yes it is a choice. Entitlement dies not mean that you need to choose that. This may be different from one system to another.

Cheryl

Sent from my iPhone

Cheryl Felak

Oct 19, 2012, 4:53:04 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

from Washington State Institute for Public Policy  http://www.wsipp.wa.gov/rptfiles/09-10-3901.pdfCare in an institution is an

entitlement, meaning if a client is eligible, he or she

cannot be denied institutional care. When an

individual with developmental disabilities

participates in the state’s waiver program, he or she

waives the right to be institutionalized and agrees to

receive alternative services in the community. Any

Section 1: Overview

11

client assessed as needing 24-hour active

residential care in a structured facility and who

meets the Medicaid and state eligibility

requirements for institutional care is entitled to a

place in an institution. A waiver enables the client to

receive the same level of service (24-hour, active

care), but in a community setting.

Some services

are Medicaid entitlements, which are “guaranteed”

to an individual who meets the eligibility criteria,

but the majority of services are limited by both

eligibility requirements and availability of funds.

DiMichele, Deborah

Oct 19, 2012, 6:44:42 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I see where you are getting this and the language does say ‘entitlement’. So maybe the problem is the words ‘eligible’ and ‘assessed need’. Are there any coherent standards in place to define these? Because if not then anyone could be denied.

CMarshall

Oct 19, 2012, 7:04:16 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
They won't pay for 24hr care and have instituted a shared living rule.

"DiMichele, Deborah" <dadim...@seattleschools.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM, <ddadv...@gmail.com<mailto:ddadv...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>I'm sure someone on this list can clarify but it had to do with CMS. When I get home and am able to get better resources than I can do on my phone I will get the information for you unless someone else answers. But, yes it is a choice. Entitlement dies not mean that you need to choose that. This may be different from one system to another.
>
>Cheryl
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>

>On Oct 19, 2012, at 12:56, "DiMichele, Deborah" <dadim...@seattleschools.org<mailto:dadim...@seattleschools.org>> wrote:
>I don't know where you're getting your information but I don't believe RHC's are operated on an entitlement basis. They should be a choice that parents/guardians/advocates are informed about but there is no entitlement as far as I know. The concept of entitlement has to do with funding and legal rights at the state level.

ddadv...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 7:15:05 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Yes when one meets eligibility for DDD (this is all available in the DD Policy manual too) and asks for an assessment of care needs, the caseworker does the assessment that DDD requires to assess services. Basically there is no rhyme or reason and its not fair about who has services or waivers and who doesn't. It's really being in the right place at the right time. But, regardless of the  waiver if one meets eligibility requirements for the RHC ( again in the manual - look up admissions to RHC criteria - or some combo of those words in a search and it should come up ) one could supposedly be admitted. Now if that happens - I would highly doubt it but if a person wanted that it would be their legal right - except now I. Our stat we legalized age des rumination in 2011 so that those 21 and under ate prohibited from admission. I don't know how this is legal given that in order for states to offer the waiver they need to maintain the entitlement.

I don't know if this answers your question or not but our DDD system does all it can to not admit people and prefers to have families live in constant crisis apparently. If more people knew their rights maybe there would be more of an uproar about this

It's fairly clear would be be eligible but that does not mean that one receives anything unfortunately. There are many, many unserved out there.

Sent from my iPhone

Saskia Davis

Oct 19, 2012, 10:42:16 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com, Saskia Davis
Thanks for this.
Saskia

Cheryl Felak

Oct 19, 2012, 10:44:06 PM10/19/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com
Oh, Man - I cannot send messages from the iphone - too many errors - very sorry about that!

Here is a link to the DDD Policy Manual - you can look up many things from this link:

Here is the specific policy for DDD eligibility:

Eligibility though does not provide services.

Cheryl

Rick Jensen

Oct 20, 2012, 10:05:19 AM10/20/12
to dd-coa...@googlegroups.com