Deal for July 24, 2010!

Joon Song

Jul 25, 2010, 1:27:06 PM7/25/10
to DC Wine Buyers Collective
Hello All!

The very first deal for your consideration has three fantastic wines,
all from Ansonia Wines. Future deals will include wines from other
regions (i.e. other than France) and retailers (e.g. MacArthur
Beverages).

The deadline to make your purchases is 12 pm on Wednesday, July 28.

THE WINES

The first wine is the 2009 Bonnet-Huteau Muscadet Sèvre et Maine “Les
Gautronnieres." This is THE perfect summer wine, with a hint of
effervescence and some good, bracing acidity. Green apples, citrus,
and a whole lotta minerals. If you like seafood--especially oysters--
you need this wine. If you like drinking cool, delicious, inexpensive
white wine by itself during hot summer days, you need a whole lotta
this wine.

The second wine is the 2008 Paul Autard Chateauneuf-du-Pape blanc.
Chateauneuf-du-Pape (literally, "New House of the Pope") is an
appellation in the Southern Rhone, near Avignon. If you know your
medieval history, you will recognize Avignon as the seat of the papacy
for a brief while. While there, the popes seem to have developed a
liking of the local wines. One sip of one of Paul Autard's wines will
show you what all the hubbub was about. Chateauneuf-du-Pape is better
known for its red wines, made from predominantly grenache and up to
twelve other varietals, but it also produces a small amount of
absolutely profound white wine. The Paul Autard blanc is made from
roughly equal amounts of roussane, grenache blanc, and clairette. The
2007 version was a religious experience, unlike any other white wine
you've probably ever tasted, unlike any conception of white wine you
might have in your mind. It is full of lanolin, hazelnut, lemon curd,
and minerals. It is full and rich. It is, as I said before,
profound. The 2008 is a bit leaner than the 2007, but otherwise
should have the same characteristics of the 2007.

The third wine is the 2005 Domaine les Gouberts Gigondas "Cuvee
Florence." Unlike the wines above, this wine is a red. The Domaine
makes a number of different wines, including two different types of
Gigondas. (Gigondas is another appellation in the Southern Rhone,
near Chateauneuf-du-Pape.) They have a Gigondas made in the
traditional style with no oak, and they have a prestige cuvee, named
after their daughter Florence, that is aged for I believe two years in
oak. Both are wonderful: I had the opportunity to drink an '89
Gigondas and a '94 Cuvee Florence, and while the different ages
probably had something to do with it I liked the Cuvee Florence
better. Dark, stewed prune on the nose, with prune, umami, baking
spice, Japanese red bean jelly. Excellent tannins balanced by a good
undercurrent of acidity. Bright, juicy, and vibrant. While I haven't
had the 2005 Cuvee Florence, the 2005 vintage was apparently
extraordinary for Gigondas.

PRICES

2009 Bonnet-Huet: after tax, it retails for $13.07 per bottle, but the
member price is $10.44 per bottle (a savings of 20%).
2008 Paul Autard: after tax, it retails for $58.86 per bottle, but the
member price is $40.88 per bottle (a savings of 30.5%).
2005 Domaine Les Gobuerts: after tax, it retails for $56.68 per
bottle, but the member price is $39.51 per bottle (a savings of
30.3%).

PURCHASE DETAILS

These wines are all being sold through Ansonia's special Advance Order
Group. Basically, customers can pay in advance for half-cases or full
cases of wine; in exchange for the advance payment, they receive near-
wholesale prices. However, the increments MUST be in half-cases or
full cases. Therefore, the Wine Buyers Collective must commit to
buying at least a certain number of bottles before I will put in
orders. If the Collective does not commit to at least a threshold
number on a specific wine, I will not order that wine.

HOW TO BUY

If you are interested, please use the link below to access the Google
spreadsheet entitled "Deals for July 24, 2010":

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AodSYzMBprcgdHUxekxhbUJ2U09HUnVtWk4ycWRzaXc&hl=en&authkey=CI_e8PwP

Then, simply fill out the required information. The spreadsheet is
set up so that it automatically updates prices, etc., as you enter the
information.

I will let you know whether the Collective will move forward with the
purchases for July 24 after the deal closes. Please let me know if
you have any questions--you can contact me at jso...@gmail.com or
(510) 435-1897.

Sincerely,

Joon Song

Lillian Marquez

Jul 25, 2010, 7:41:15 PM7/25/10
to dcwinebuyer...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joon,

Do you know when the wine would come in? I will be back in town on the 10th and 11th and then won't return till the 21st.

Lilly
--
Lillian Márquez
J.D. Candidate 2011

Katherine Mereand

Jul 25, 2010, 7:52:55 PM7/25/10
to DC Wine Buyers
Joon:

We will go in for one bottle of each.
Thx for setting this up!

Kate & Rahul

From the iPhone.

Heather Anne Benton

Jul 25, 2010, 11:47:47 PM7/25/10
to dcwinebuyer...@googlegroups.com
Yo! I put myself down for two of the first one.  I'd like to try the others, but I gotta wait until fall loans kick in.  Working for free when the CA  budget on hold ain't all it's cracked up to be.  Thanks for doing this though! I'm stoked and am going to get exposed to wines i might not otherwise have tried.

H.
Heather A. Benton
Director, Internal Writing Competition, GW SBA 2010-2011
Regional Job Fair Director and Career Development Coordinator 2010-2011
National Black Law Students Association - Mid-Atlantic Region
2010-2011 ABA Lt. Governor for the Georgetown & George Washington University Law Schools

The George Washington University Law School
J.D. Candidate 2011

"Truth is not found in science, or on some unseen plane, but by looking into your own heart"

Joon Song

Jul 26, 2010, 12:29:32 AM7/26/10
to DC Wine Buyers Collective
Hey Lilly,

This is a great question, so I'm replying to the whole group.

The Advance Order Group is great because it allows us to purchase at
near-wholesale prices. It does so by purchasing wines directly from
the producer. This, however, has its disadvantage: it can take up to
4-6 weeks after the order is sent in to get the wines here. So, we
won't be getting wines from this batch until at least the end of
August.

This process will be faster for non-Advance Order Group purchases.
For instance, if I pick up wines from Schneider's of Capitol Hill they
will be ready for delivery to WBC members within a few days. That
being said, I can hold your wine until you're ready for it!

Payment will generally be due within a week of any order being
confirmed; however, as this is the summer, getting payment to me might
be difficult. Please stay tuned--I will let you know your summer
payment options soon!

Sincerely,

Joon
> >https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AodSYzMBprcgdHUxekxhbUJ2U09H...
>
> > Then, simply fill out the required information.  The spreadsheet is
> > set up so that it automatically updates prices, etc., as you enter the
> > information.
>
> > I will let you know whether the Collective will move forward with the
> > purchases for July 24 after the deal closes.  Please let me know if
> > you have any questions--you can contact me at json...@gmail.com or

Joon Song

Jul 26, 2010, 8:42:06 PM7/26/10
to DC Wine Buyers Collective
Hello All!

Just a reminder: the order will close at 12 pm on Wednesday, July 28.
Please put in your requests if you see anything you like. You can
expect your wines within 4-6 weeks from July 28. Just for this first
order, payment will be due upon delivery.

There are five bottles of Muscadet, three bottles of Chateauneuf-du-
Pape, and two bottles of Gigondas left for purchase. You should pick
up a bottle or two of Muscadet for late summer refreshment, or pick up
a bottle of the CdP or Gigondas to impress a hot date. Or your
parents.

Sincerely,

Joon Song

(P.S. I will not send any more group e-mails regarding this deal. If
you have questions, please be sure to click "reply to author" at the
bottom of your message unless it is extremely important for everyone
to know! Thank you!)