Difference between AE Title and AE Station Name

Tamás Sipos

May 11, 2018, 5:44:01 AM5/11/18
to dcm4che
It is not dcm4che(e)-specific, but I ask it here anyways. With Google I don't find a clear explanation and I don't have modalities to experiment with.

From my understanding, AE Title is actually the "UID" of a modality on the network. A SPS on the MWL has this information in it so it is clear for which modality the entry is for.

But what is AE Station Name then?
Why would you need this?
Is it (just like the AE Title) also something configured in the modality?
Does it have some default value filled by the manufacturer?
Can you simply use the AE Title in place of the AE Station Name as well?

Nicolas Pasini

May 11, 2018, 7:02:26 PM5/11/18
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tamás,

I copy past what David Clunie said:

Station Name (0008,1010) is an Equipment level attribute, so any
receiving system (like a PACS) should not assume that it is the
same for an entire Study (if that's what your PACS is doing),
since images in different Series in the same Study may be created
on different equipment.

Note that Station Name (0008,1010) is optional (Type 3), so not
sending it at all is legal.

StationNnme tag:User defined name identifying the machine that produced the composite instances.

So, a sender called MYSENDER could send images that were produced by different stations . What is a station then? : It is the equipment that performs the image acquisition.
If a sender called MYSENDER sends two images from two different machines/devices and you overwrite the station name TAG as follow (station1 overwrited as MYSENDER, station2 overwrited as MYSENDER) . How could you know who really performed the acquisition?
Did MYSENDER really perform both adquisition?

Regards,
Nicolás