boot.log getting out of control in size

Greg Silverman

Oct 2, 2013, 10:37:50 AM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I am using the default install of dcm4chee without having changed anything. Problem is that the boot.log is growing enormous, especially when I try to delete studies. The output looks to be set to debug level of logging, but I am not sure which parameters to set to INFO (versus DEBUG). Everything listed on http://www.dcm4che.org/confluence/display/ee2/Modifying+Log+Output is set to INFO, below this section this is set to DEBUG

<category name="org.jboss.mx.util.JBossNotificationBroadcasterSupport">
     <priority value="DEBUG"/>
</category>

I just want to see errors and warnings, so what should my settings be? (Should I change every instance of "INFO" and "DEBUG" to "WARNING"?)

Thanks in advance!

Greg--

--
Greg M. Silverman
Senior Developer Analyst

Docjay

Oct 2, 2013, 11:12:50 AM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I would go to the JMX console and navigate to:

Domain Name: jboss.system

service: Logging

type: Log4jService

and set "org.jboss.mx.util.JBossNotificationBroadcasterSupport" to INFO

Jamie

Greg Silverman

Oct 2, 2013, 11:57:32 AM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Jamie,
I do not see org.jboss.mx.util.JBossNotificationBroadcasterSupport under domain name= jboss.system service=Logging,type=Log4jService.

I tried setting this in the XML file to no avail. It still was outputting in DEBUG mode.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Greg--

Damien Evans

Oct 2, 2013, 1:19:22 PM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Can you attach your jboss-log4j.xml file please?

 -- Damien

Docjay

Oct 2, 2013, 2:10:27 PM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com

sorry, I should have been more clear.  Under the 'List of Mbean Operations' You can paste 'org.jboss.mx.util.JBossNotificationBroadcasterSupport' into the first field and click 'invoke'.  All it will do is 'Displays the log level of a given logger.'

You can come back and tell us what the value is.  I just did it on my system and tells me 'INFO'.

Damien Evans

Oct 2, 2013, 2:16:04 PM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
What kind of output do you see in your boot.log?  That file shouldn't be written to after the log4j framework takes over, and stuff starts being written to server.log.

If you are running dcm4chee as a service/daemon, can you ensure that you have this line commented out in your jboss-log4j.xml?
<appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
to comment it out:
<!-- <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/> -->

If you're running as a service and that line is not commented out, a copy of all log messages will go to sysout and this could cause some log file growth (but usually syslog type logs).

Anyway, what is going into boot.log?  Is it an exact replica of what is being written to server.log?

 -- Damien

Greg Silverman

Oct 2, 2013, 2:44:55 PM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Damien,
The line was indeed commented out. Strange thing, now that you mention it, is that server.log has only been written to back in July. All output (and I mean ALL) goes to boot.log. And yes, dcm4chee is running as a service.

Enclosed is the XML file.

Thanks!

Greg--
jboss-log4j.xml

Damien Evans

Oct 2, 2013, 3:08:16 PM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
You had some misplaced xml comment characters which hosed up the parsing of the file.  This caused log4j to not know what to do, so it just continued to write to the boot log file.  You should be all set now with the attached corrected file.  Probably a good idea to restart after dropping this in, so that log4j initializes cleanly.

 -- Damien
jboss-log4j.xml

Greg Silverman

Oct 2, 2013, 3:19:17 PM10/2/13