Enabling the MPRs reconstruction in an Enhanced US Dicom Volume using Weasis v4.4.0

Stefania Paperini

Jun 25, 2024, 4:49:52 AM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to dcm4che
Hi!

I am trying to build from scratch an Enhanced US Dicom Volume and I need to generate the MPRs reconstruction from it.
It is very good that Weasis can support that!
Probably something is not completely clear to me from the Dicom Standard and the values of the attributes in my Enhanced US Dicom Volume are not correct because even if checking with a validation tool, my Dicom file seems ok,  it doesn't enable the MPRs reconstruction in Weasis and it is considered as a list of 2D frames, instead of a proper US volume.
I am sending in attachment the screenshots of a test dataset where the MPRs reconstruction in Weasis is triggered (Dicom, 3D) and the screenshots of my test dataset where no MPRs reconstruction is triggered (Test, Thyroid Showcase).

Both datasets are of type: Enhanced US Ultrasound

Do you know which are the Dicom attributes that are responsible for triggering the MPRs reconstruction in Weasis or where I should look in the Dicom dataset for solving the problem?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Stefania

MPR_enabled_attributes.png
MPR_enabled.png
MPR_not_enabled_attributes.png
MPR_not_enabled.png

Nicolas Roduit

Jun 25, 2024, 10:52:57 AM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to dcm4che
Weasis does not activate the 3D tools when there are fewer than 5 images in a series, see Note in https://weasis.org/en/tutorials/mpr/

Stefania Paperini

Jun 28, 2024, 9:36:03 AM (8 days ago) Jun 28
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
a short update: now I can successfully reconstruct the MPRs from my volume: I used the TemporalPositionIndex instead of the FrameAcquisitionNumber, both as attribute and in the DimensionIndexPointer.
There is still the problem that still the single frames are displayed and that there is a Dataset that cannot be displayed (error: Cannot read this media, see screenshots). But the important point is the successful MPR reconstruction

Thanks

Stefania

Screenshot (874).png
Screenshot (875).png
Screenshot (876).png
Screenshot (877).png

Stefania Paperini

Jun 28, 2024, 9:36:04 AM (8 days ago) Jun 28
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
I need to formulate the question a bit differently: why the single frames are put by Weasis as they were in different Series, but actually the Series is the same? You can see in the attached screenshots of the Dicom attributes, that all the frames refer to the same Series UID and to the same Dicom object.

sameSeries1.png
sameSeries2.png
sameSeries3.png

Nicolas Roduit

Jun 29, 2024, 5:11:59 AM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to dcm4che
You should take a look at Series Level and the default rules for sub-series separation. FrameAcquisitionNumber is a separation element in the default multi-frames rule.

Stefania Paperini

Jul 2, 2024, 5:20:16 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to dcm4che
Now I understand, thanks a lot!