Few critical problems and solution to consider while implementing Opensource PACS.

Rady

Aug 28, 2014, 4:09:29 AM8/28/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I visit many hospitals to understand and suggest improvements on opensource solutions especially PACS. Everything is hunky-dory, until a disaster is hit, after some basic understanding of the current setup, I have put together five points to consider when you are implementing any opensource solutions especially PACS.. Take a look at this link

Synopsis

I visit many hospitals to understand and suggest improvements on opensource solutions especially PACS. Everything is hunky-dory, until a disaster is hit, after some basic understanding of the current setup at many hospitals,  I have put together five points to consider when you are implementing any opensource solutions especially PACS.
  1. PACS is 50% software and 50% hardware especially storage, database, processing. Getting these specification right is very important.
  2. Workflow, not all opensource provide the necessary workflow that fits your Radiology department, especially when it comes to Routing and Reporting. This needs additional software’s.
  3. Security and HIPAA, simple HTTPs is beyond the scope of the software’s alone, it needs bit more than installing software.
  4. Disastar recovery, not many people see this important until you are hit with data-loss. I have seen hospitals don’t invest on this, but spend thousands $$ when they get hit. Disaster recovery is not just storage – it includes Application and Database Servers. RAID, Server virtualization are some of the key features of DR.
  5. Last but the most basic stuff, is plan for migration. This again first time PACS users will ignore and will realize the moment they are hit with bottlenecks like storage space.
with regards
Rady