DCM4CHEE Archive Encryption

dhava...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2013, 1:53:00 PM9/17/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I want to know if DCM4CHEE Archive (Storage Data) can be encrypted for security reason, I just came to know that according to HIPAA rules Archive has to be encrypted
Can anyone tell me how can we encrypt the Data which is stored in archive directory

Thanks

Alvaro G. [Andor]

Sep 17, 2013, 2:02:06 PM9/17/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The easiest way to do it is filesystem or hardware encryption. If you
already have your hardware deployed or selected, look for an encrypted
filesystem solution. Something like the latest ZFS versions, EFS on
Windows, LUKS on Linux or EFS on AIX (yes, same name than on windows,
but different thing...).

Have a nice day...

El 17/09/13 19:53, dhava...@gmail.com escribi�:

Oleg Kovalchuk

Sep 17, 2013, 2:37:22 PM9/17/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Curious, could you point to that HIPAA rule? AFAIK HIPAA states the data has to be encrypted if you do not have control over its location ie using GCE or AWS. If the archive is located in a HIPAA compliant Data Center there is no requirement for encryption.

dhaval joshi

Sep 18, 2013, 1:04:29 PM9/18/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com

Thanks
Dhaval Joshi

Oleg Kovalchuk

Sep 18, 2013, 8:44:08 PM9/18/13
Yup. What that article forgets to mention is that "§164.306… Implement" in the CFR the dot dot dot actually contains not required but addressable. Which does give you the flexibility to not add about 10-30% of performance overhead to a large data archive if it is stored in a secured facility. Totally up to you, everything andor suggested above stand true, just giving you an opinion of someone who went through the exercise of encrypting the filesystem with dcm4chee and running few performance checks.

see http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/45/164.312 for details.

Cheers,
OK