dcm4chee-arc-4.1.0.Alpha3 released

gunterze

Sep 19, 2013, 3:10:11 AM9/19/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I released dcm4chee-arc-4.1.0.Alpha3 at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dcm4che/files/dcm4chee-arc4/4.1.0.Alpha3/ .

It now additionally supports:
It also includes a simple Web interface for browsing the archive content and uploading DICOM Composite Objects using STOW-RS.

For a complete change log see: http://www.dcm4che.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10321&version=10881

Aaron Boxer

Sep 30, 2013, 2:10:15 PM9/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I just want to say, this is a fantastic release.  I have the archive running with LDAP settings, and I can query and upload studies
in my browser using the new DICOM standards. I am running the archive from eclipse using the JBoss tools, so I can debug,
make code changes, and hot deploy the changes to jboss. This is a really nice environment to develop in.

Someone once said that Linux is to the internet what steel was to the industrial revolution: the raw material for innovation.
I think DCM4CHEE is like steel for medical imaging software.

Thanks, Gunter.

Aaron

gunterze

Oct 1, 2013, 6:39:40 AM10/1/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Just, I have to warn that there may be major changes in the architecture of dcm4chee-arc-4.x in near future - so perhaps it's better to wait some months before starting to build your own extensions on it.

Particularly, we are currently evaluating to transform dcm4chee-arc-4.x to an OSGI Enterprise Application, using standardized blueprint IoC container as its backbone.

gunter

Aaron Boxer

Oct 1, 2013, 10:26:47 AM10/1/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the warning, Gunter.  My changes are going to be pretty small.

I am interested in using the archive  as a proxy to a generic PACS, to add services such as WADO, QUIDO, and STOW.
I realize that there is a separate proxy project, but I think adding this feature to the archive will be more powerful.

So,  an archive WADO query will trigger a C-MOVE on the generic PACS (if the image is not currently stored in the archive),
then a regular WADO response once the image is stored in the archive.
Data will be deleted from the archive after a specified period of time. The generic PACS will be configured in LDAP.

An archive QUIDO request will trigger a C-FIND request on the generic PACS, etc.

With this in place, one could take any existing PACS and add dcm4chee + oviyam2 and have a complete web PACS solution (when
oviyam2 is finally released :) )

Cheers,

Aaron

Suresh Viswanathan

Oct 1, 2013, 11:35:48 AM10/1/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Actually Oviyam 2.0 has been released! You can download 2.0 right now from SourceForge. Unfortunately I haven't had time to write up the release notes so an official announcement is pending. We've started work on 2.1 which will (hopefully) add support for QUIDO as a option.

Cheers mate ;-)

Suresh

Aaron Boxer

Oct 2, 2013, 11:46:25 AM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on the release!!  Besides QUIDO, what is on the roadmap for 2.1?

Suresh Viswanathan

Oct 2, 2013, 11:56:30 AM10/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
More optimisations with better support for large DICOM files (CR,DX,MG), streamlined UI, DICOM Video and IE 10 support. We could add STOW if there's a convincing use case scenario. I might also remove some of the HTML 5 features like local storage which no one seems to be using since getting it to work on multiple browsers is a pain. Mobile (iOviyam) will probably be integrated into Oviyam as a single codebase.

More as we progress.

Suresh

Aaron Boxer

Oct 3, 2013, 9:43:51 PM10/3/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I actually like the local storage feature. It promises to boost performance in a big way.
Hopefully the HTML5 world will standardize on at least one API.

It seems that oviyam2 uses the FileSystem API, which is only supported by Chrome and Opera.
Here is an interesting link on why Firefox supports IndexedDB and not FileSystem.

(IndexedDB is supported by IE10 and the latest FireFox and Chrome.)

Personally, I would like to see you guys focusing on stability and performance before you start adding new features.
I've seen the browser lock up on large studies. And the memory goes quite high on Chrome/windows 7.
Large file support would be great.

Keep up the good work!
Aaron

Aaron Boxer

Oct 3, 2013, 10:00:32 PM10/3/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Well, I've got a working implementation of my proxy idea. It was suprisingly easy.

It only works with LDAP config, and it assumes that there is a device in the device list named
PROXIED-ARC, with the generic pacs' ae title, host name and port.

Aaron

fleetwoodfc

Oct 4, 2013, 7:28:24 AM10/4/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,
It would be better to announce this in a separate post with a brief overview of it's functionality i.e. there is already a dcm4chee-proxy component, how is this different?

Aaron Boxer

Oct 4, 2013, 9:08:05 AM10/4/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Good idea.