Shift of histogramm using import DICOM

John Miller

Sep 2, 2014, 12:49:54 PM9/2/14

Hey folks,

first of all thanks for providing this great tool. Unfortunately, I am struggling even with the first steps and hope there is a simple explanation for the following issue:
When using File->Import->Image Sequence..., the histogram over the entire stack shows the original distribution from 0...250.
Opening the exact same files via File->Import->Open DICOM,  the histogram distribution remains constant in itself, just shifted to 32768...33018. Which is an undisered behavior, as I am intending to use ImageJ to add noise, artifacts, etc. without loosing the original gray values.
Is there anything I can change in the import options to avoid this? I had only very little contact to Java in the past, which makes the trouble shooting on a deeper level very difficult. And I still suspect that I am simply doing the wrong thing.

I would appreciate any help!
Martin

BTW, I am using: ImageJ 1.48v, Java 1.6.0_20 (64Bit), I installed the current version of the Tudor DICOM Plugin, without any errors.
I tried different datasets with the same outcome.

Edit: the dicom files are actually in 16bit grayscale, I can provide more information about them (or post them) if that is from any help :)

John Miller

Sep 3, 2014, 9:17:14 AM9/3/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com

Brief update: the above described behavior actually does depend on the scanner. I can see that shift in all scans from our GE-CT, whereas data sets from other devices are imported correctly. I will have a closer look into this. I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post about these experiences (?). I will post any insides i may gain in case someone else is experiencing similar issues.