RSNA 2013

Albert Sellarès Torra

Nov 29, 2013, 8:46:38 AM11/29/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

are you going to do some meeting at RSNA 2013? I'm going to RSNA for the first time and it would be great to exchange some experiences with dcm4chee users and developers.

Also, on the next year we would like to publish our powerful dicom viewer as opensource and would be very interesting to receive some tips from you about how to do that in the best effective way.

Thank you very much.

Aaron Boxer

Nov 29, 2013, 10:40:39 AM11/29/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Albert,

Also, on the next year we would like to publish our powerful dicom viewer as opensource and would be very interesting to receive some tips from you about how to do that in the best effective way.

Sounds interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about the viewer:  features, language it is written in,  who is using it?

Thanks,
Aaron

Damien Evans

Nov 29, 2013, 10:46:27 AM11/29/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I will not be at RSNA this year.  It's actually going to be kind of nice.  First time in about 10 years that I won't have to work the tradeshow floor!  Hopefully you can get enough people together to do a meetup this year.  Keep us posted on the scheduling if you do.  If the timing is right, I might drive down there just for that.

 -- Damien

Suresh Viswanathan

Nov 29, 2013, 12:36:59 PM11/29/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Gonna miss you Damien. I've just decided to attend and am looking for flight tickets. I would love to meet with fellow dcm4che users. If anyone can come up with suggestions for a location with good beer the first round's on me.

Suresh.

Albert Sellarès

Nov 30, 2013, 3:29:09 AM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

Yes, of course. The viewer is writed in C++ and uses openGL and QT.

It runs on windows, linux and osx.

Most of the radiologists of our organization use it as their primary tool. These are at the the moment almost 300 active users. We have all kind of modality types: NM, CT, MR, PET, MAMO, RX, etc.

It has 2D and 3D viewer, it can fusionate images like PET (MN + CT), it has MIPS, MPR, full dicom Q/R but doesn't support WADO at the moment. It can export to DICOM CD or USB, and support hanging protocols to open the studies in the more confortable way.

Something more you would like to know? If you are going to RSNA I could tell you more about it or show it!

Greetings

--
  Albert Sellarès Torra
  Responsable del departament d'Informàtica

El 29/11/2013, a les 16.40, Aaron Boxer <box...@gmail.com> va escriure:

Albert Sellarès

Nov 30, 2013, 3:38:08 AM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Suresh,

This is my first time in Chicago then I can't suggest any place yet. Maybe we could follow Damien's suggestion and do the meetup. What do you think about?

I would like to exchange some experiences deploying dcm4chee and other stuff.

Anyone else would like to come the the meetup?

I'm at the airport ready to start the 15 hours trip!

See you in chicago!

--
  Albert Sellarès Torra
  Responsable del departament d'Informàtica
  Telf: 93 259 41 92
  Institut de Diagnòstic per la Imatge

El 29/11/2013, a les 18.36, Suresh Viswanathan <suresh...@gmail.com> va escriure:

Aaron Boxer

Nov 30, 2013, 8:13:10 AM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Albert!  I like the features you mentioned. Unfortunately I won't be at RSNA, but I'm looking forward to trying out your viewer when you release it.

Hope you have a good trip,

Aaron

Aaron Boxer

Nov 30, 2013, 9:25:53 AM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Also, if you are looking for a hosting site, I would highly recommend github. It makes it very easy
to get collobartion with other developers. I can help you get it set up and get started with git
if you like.

Aaron

Suresh Viswanathan

Nov 30, 2013, 9:29:27 AM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Albert, drop me an email when you're in Chicago. I should be there from Monday evening till Thursday evening. At the very least, the two of us can meet. I'm surprised no one else has responded. Maybe since it's last minute. I have a 24 hr flight journey coming up!

Suresh.

Albert Sellarès

Nov 30, 2013, 8:00:09 PM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your suggestion, we really like github.

We also think that it would be the best option but we also thougt about try to put it in the same place as dcm4che code.

Maybe it would give a better promotion?

--
  Albert Sellarès Torra
  Responsable del departament d'Informàtica
  Telf: 93 259 41 92
  Institut de Diagnòstic per la Imatge

El 30/11/2013, a les 8.25, Aaron Boxer <box...@gmail.com> va escriure:

Aaron Boxer

Nov 30, 2013, 10:18:27 PM11/30/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Albert Sellarès <albert....@idi.gencat.cat> wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion, we really like github.

We also think that it would be the best option but we also thougt about try to put it in the same place as dcm4che code.

Maybe it would give a better promotion?

Great. And the new version of dcm4che is already on github.

Dr Lawrence Fox

Dec 1, 2013, 5:35:19 PM12/1/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm not going (I'm a DVM, not a radiologist), but I'm from Chicago. Chicago is a great city for all kinds of ethnic cuisine, haute cuisine and cheap eats. I hear it's got great watering holes, too, but I don't have much experience with those. RSNA is a few blocks (but don't walk) from Chinatown. Best pizza is Giordano's deep dish (our Roman relatives said it was the best thing they ever ate, but it wasn't pizza). Portillos has great hot dogs (Chicagoans don't add ketchup), Italian beef and Italian sausage (order either with "sweet peppers"). Again, the "Italian" is really a Chicago thing which you won't find anywhere else in the world).
If you would like restaurant recommendations, LMK your cuisine and budget.
drfox AT chicagovet DOT net

Alvaro [Andor]

Dec 2, 2013, 4:45:58 AM12/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
That sounds pretty nice,

I'm quite interested on it, as I feel the most similar viewer to that,
Gingko CADx, has been going down in quality this past two years. The
linux version hangs and closes every some minutes, and they haven't
released a mac version in two years.

Sadly, I won't be there this year, due to some difficulties, but my boss
will be there representing the company (Kanteron Systems), sharing booth
with IBM and AVNET (Booth B7510). His name is Juan Tatay. Please go and
let him know.

So, please, have fun, eat well (I'll miss the hot dogs), and don't get
cold.

Have a nice day.

--
Alvaro "Andor" Gonzalez
an...@pierdelacabeza.com

Aaron Boxer

Dec 2, 2013, 11:40:40 PM12/2/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Alvaro [Andor] <an...@pierdelacabeza.com> wrote:
That sounds pretty nice,

I'm quite interested on it, as I feel the most similar viewer to that, Gingko CADx, has been going down in quality this past two years. The linux version hangs and closes every some minutes, and they haven't released a mac version in two years.

Yes, I also had a very poor impression of Gingko when I tried it out about a year ago.

The top open source DICOM viewers, in my mind, are:

Osirix (active development, nice feature set, OSX only),

Clear Canvas Workstation (nice feature set but seems to be abandoned in favour of $$, Windows only)

Weasis (cross platform)

Oviyam2 (HTML5 in browser)

And I think the future really lies with HTML5 for the majority of users. Niches like heavy 3D processing will still need the desktop, and CD viewer will need to be Java.

Suresh Viswanathan

Dec 3, 2013, 4:27:56 AM12/3/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alvaro,

I will drop into your booth later today and try to meet your boss.

Suresh.

Aaron Boxer

Feb 3, 2014, 10:29:32 AM2/3/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com, Albert Sellarès
Hi Albert,

Any updates on your plan to open source your viewer?  I feel that Linux
really needs a good solid DICOM viewer.