Moving DICOM images efficiently between EC2 and S3

Bhavesh Pandey

Sep 28, 2020, 2:26:28 PM9/28/20
to dcm4che
Hi, I have a dcm4chee-arc-light server hosted on an EC2 instance on AWS. I get around 100-150 GBs of data everyday.

Over past few months, I have collected significant amount of data (around 18TBs). To manage my cost I move that data to AWS S3 every night and delete the images from the path (/var/local/dcm4chee/storage/fs1/2020). And when I need DICOM images which have been moved to S3 I transfer it back from S3 to my EC2 instance, at the same location from where I sent it.

But this has now become quite inefficient and takes a long time to retrieve the images even though my EC2 instance and S3 bucket is in same region. It fails several times. Is there a better way to save DICOM images on a different storage and retrieve it back?

Is there any documentation on how to handle this?

Thanks