8080 connection refused on debian

Diego Rivera

Jan 27, 2013, 3:24:13 PM1/27/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I have a setup where a debian server (with dcm4chee installed) sits behind a gateway. The gateway has the 8080 port open on the public side, and directed to the private IP of the debian server. I can access dcm4chee web perfecly from the LAN, but trying to connect from internet gives a "connection refused" error.

I installed dcm4chee using the .deb packages of this page:

The server has a valid hostname, with the respective DNS record and resolves to the public IP.

I searched the logs but couldn't find info.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.
Diego.

alessio

Jan 28, 2013, 6:56:01 AM1/28/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
On 01/27/2013 09:24 PM, Diego Rivera wrote:

> Any ideas where to start?

Can you try these commands
telnet localhost 8080
and
netstat -naptl |grep LISTEN

From the private network it works?

Ciao

Diego Rivera

Jan 28, 2013, 7:49:32 AM1/28/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
I did a wget localhost:8080/dcm4chee-web3 and it brings the index page perfectly, I think it's more or less the same as the telnet test that you suggest.

From the private network works perfecly, using the private IP as domain (i.e. <ip>:8080/dcm4chee-web3). I don't know much about how Jboss handles http connections, but my guess is that in some way it is tied to the private IP address (in apache you can bind certain virtual hosts to certain IPs). But even in that case it should work (the request is made to the private IP anyways... even behind the gateway).

I will try with netstat as soon as I can and post back.

alessio

Jan 28, 2013, 9:00:04 AM1/28/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
On 01/28/2013 01:49 PM, Diego Rivera wrote:
> I did a wget localhost:8080/dcm4chee-web3 and it brings the index page
> perfectly, I think it's more or less the same as the telnet test that you
> suggest.
>
> From the private network works perfecly, using the private IP as domain
> (i.e. <ip>:8080/dcm4chee-web3). I don't know much about how Jboss handles
> http connections, but my guess is that in some way it is tied to the
> private IP address (in apache you can bind certain virtual hosts to certain
> IPs). But even in that case it should work (the request is made to the
> private IP anyways... even behind the gateway).
>
> I will try with netstat as soon as I can and post back.

I think this is not necessary as wget works.
Are you sure that from outside the private network the gateway really
routes traffic to the dcm4chee server private IP?

Diego Rivera

Jan 28, 2013, 9:53:19 AM1/28/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the gateway is out of my control, I asked the sysadmin for other port redirects in the past and all those worked, and I contacted him again for this one as soon as I detected it wasn't working, and he says everything is perfect on his side. I believe him, the guy is serious and professional. I asked him to check it again with the private and public IP addresses again, we will see.

Prakash Jayaraman

Jan 29, 2013, 12:22:12 AM1/29/13
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
It will not work if you are using some other gateway other than the one from the requests are forwarded. Check, if you can ping outside network from the PC and make sure the same gateway is set from where the port forwarding is done.