First Time Install Best Practices

stefan.ale...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2019, 3:57:33 AM4/16/19
to dcm4che
Hello,

I work for a post-graduate dental clinic. I am setting up dcm4chee archive light 5 for the first time following this guide:

I have a few questions regarding best practices for the setup:

1. Is best practice to setup a separate LDAP server or can LDAP be setup on the same machine?

2. It seems that installing Apache Directory Studio is required. I am using a CentOS 7 minimum install, and hoped to avoid installing a desktop environment. Is a desktop environment required?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Thiago Maltempi

Apr 16, 2019, 8:50:57 AM4/16/19
to dcm4che
Hello Steve,

1. In my point of view, depends on your needs. Installing dcm4chee in separated machines let you scale better for your needs, and this strategy let your environment more flexible. But I still prefer do it using docker, that's too much easier to do everything, and let your environment configurable and reproducible in case you need mount the same environment in another location/server.
2. No, the recommendation for Apache Directory studio is just to make your life easier in order to run add ldif files to your LDAP. You don't need desktop environment to run dcm4chee. In your case, you could install Apache Directory studio on your local machine, and connect it to your LDAP server (like a database client -- like mysql-workbench, pgadmin)

I hope it helps you! =)

Abraço!