TONIGHT: Green Muslims @Interfaith Prayer Climate Vigil on Capitol Hill

Colin Christopher

Sep 23, 2015, 3:02:53 PM9/23/15
to dcgreen...@googlegroups.com
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Today marks yawm al-Arafah, and a blessed opportunity to ask for forgiveness from Allah through fasting and dua. Today is also Yom Kippur, or the Day of Atonement for millions of Jews across the globe.

This evening, Muslims, Jews, Christians, and seekers of other faith traditions will come together to celebrate the positive messages of inclusivity, compassion, and healing that Pope Francis has brought to the U.S. during his visit, and gather strength from one another to take action on climate change.

Today is about asking Our Creator for forgiveness, trusting in Divine mercy, and forging ahead with substantive lifestyle changes and policy shifts that will begin to heal our hearts and our planet.

Drop by John Marshall Place Park (just east of the Newseum and Embassy of Canada) tonight between 8:30 and 9:30 PM to see Green Muslims offer a few remarks and pray alongside our fellow brothers and sisters.

May Allah shower you and your family with love and mercy, and may you have a blessed Eid holiday tomorrow, insh'Allah! Ameen.

Salaam,
Colin

Inline image 1

Colin Christopher | Executive Director

Pray Together for the Earth and the Poor at the Interfaith Climate Vigil

THIS Wednesday, September 23, 5 pm -Thursday, September 24, 7 am
John Marshall Place Park, DC (map)
Metro: Archives, Judiciary Square

On the eve of the Pope's address to Congress and also one of the holiest days in the Jewish calendar, we invite all people of faith and good conscience to an interfaith climate vigil to send a message that we heed "the cry of the earth and the cry of the poor."

Jewish leaders will conduct a Neilah service to conclude Yom Kippur at 5 pm. The community of All Souls Unitarian Church welcomes all to join them in an interfaith procession departing at 5:30 PM from All Souls (1500 Harvard St NW) down 16th Street and arriving at John Marshall Place Park around 7 PM

Around 7 PM, we'll follow in the spirit of atonement and invite all to atone for our deeds against the Earth and its people. Then we'll hear messages of hope and calls to action from a diverse array of faith leaders into the late evening. Faith groups will hold vigil overnight until 7 AM on Thursday, the day when Pope Francis will address Congress. (All times are approximate.)

IPL be at the vigil there all night so look for our dove and banner so we can stand together in community. RSVP on Facebook!