Animation rate question

Holly

Jun 7, 2018, 3:27:12 PM6/7/18
to DC SIGGRAPH
Hi all-

I've been asked to give a cost-per-minute for both 3D and 2D Animation.

Most of the work I have done was as a full-time employee or fixed price.

Anyone willing to enlighten me on the going rate for this service in the DC area?

Thanks!

Holly

Jeremy Swan

Jun 13, 2018, 7:49:41 AM6/13/18
to dc-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Holly,

I think rate is entirely dependent on skill level.  A medical animator with experience can crank out a molecular animation 5x faster than a noob, who may take on a job to learn but than take longer or require many revisions.

I've also noticed that people are careful about not coordinating prices in a "trade group" like this because we are theoretically competing with one another and it can also be perceived as price fixing or colluding on rates within an industry, which is illegal (I've heard). That said, do a google search! Whatever that price, I often charge 1.5x to 2x the rate or number of hours that I think it will cost, because I'm an optimistic when pitching the gig and then pessimistic after the work starts, but then I settle on being a realist when delivering the final results (and subsequent revision).

Also, overhead: equipment, like PC, video cards, software, health insurance, having to invoice, pay taxes, etc. Don't be a sucker, pass those costs on to your employer!