Hive Beetle

Emily

May 1, 2011, 9:47:35 AM5/1/11
to DC Honeybees Forum
All our frames had some good comb and capping so we threw our second
deep on this morning. Very exciting.

What was NOT exciting, however, was the discovery of a hive beetle. We
just saw one, but no mistaking it.

I know they don't pose too much of a threat to a strong and healthy
hive, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen any? Or if anyone
had suggestions for what to look out for so we know when we should
begin thinking about treating, etc?

Cheers,
Emily

Jeff Miller

May 1, 2011, 9:57:44 AM5/1/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KDPp8H6PU

These are cheap and easy traps that seem to do the job. If you have a hive
on your roof you will not have to worry about too much about hive beetles as
the larva need to bury themselves in the ground around the hive in order to
complete their life cycle.

DCHoneybees.com
Jeff Miller
Je...@DCHoneybees.com
Georgetown, DC
703 201 7369

Richard Bernstein

May 4, 2011, 4:48:44 PM5/4/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com, dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeff

When I checked the hive today there seemed to be an unusually large number of dead bees. When I opened the hive everything looked ok and there was a lot of activity. I will check again tomorrow, but is there anything special I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

Richard

Jeff Miller

May 4, 2011, 5:01:43 PM5/4/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
The bees may be just dying per their normal lifecycle..there are mortician
bees that drag them out of the hive and deposit them below the entrance,and
that is what you may be seeing. If you have an active hive, then a few dead
bees 3 weeks from installation is not unusual.

Also, I found some small hive beetles in my hive today, so there is clearly
an infestation to consider in each of your hives.

Richard Bernstein

May 4, 2011, 5:10:04 PM5/4/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense, thanks