Bring kids to an apiary

larissa elyse

Sep 17, 2013, 3:17:21 PM9/17/13
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
I babysit part time and I have 4 kids that I know would love to learn about bees and honey. Is there an apiary that would allow me to bring the kids and talk about the bees for an hour? It would be so much fun.

Ages: one 5 yo and three 6 yo

Michael Templeman

Sep 17, 2013, 3:37:16 PM9/17/13
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Though they no longer keep up the website, the Farm at Walker Jones Elementary (http://wjfarm.wordpress.com/) does keep bees. They may have moved the hives to their roof. In either case, it might be worth contacting the school and seeing if they ever allow tours, etc. I'm sure others on the list here know of many more hives around the District.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, larissa elyse <lariss...@gmail.com> wrote:
I babysit part time and I have 4 kids that I know would love to learn about bees and honey. Is there an apiary that would allow me to bring the kids and talk about the bees for an hour? It would be so much fun.

Ages: one 5 yo and three 6 yo

larissa elyse hill

Sep 17, 2013, 3:38:23 PM9/17/13
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael!

Any idea where I can buy unfiltered DC honey?
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DC Honeybees Forum" group.

Michael Templeman

Sep 17, 2013, 3:52:20 PM9/17/13
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
If I had any kind of quantity, I would sell my own! I dont know about DC (other than friends with small hives), but VA has lots of possibilities through farmers markets which come to the District and there is always the Baltimore company http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/ which I believe is also available at Whole Foods.

Xoco Shinbrot