Sherman House 2nd inspection

Lora

May 24, 2011, 1:08:09 PM5/24/11
to DC Honeybees Forum
Hi everyone. Sherman House hive got a second inspection this weekend.
The bees have completely stopped drinking the sugar syrup and also
have completely built up the foundationless frames so I guess they
must be getting a good amount of nutrition from the environment. The
hive looks really healthy and there were a ton of eggs, we even saw a
bunch of uncapped larvae. No queen spotting still. The drone eggs are
almost completely gone, I think we spotted less than 10.

As usual we still have a ton of dead bees on the ground in front of
the hive. After talking to a few people and doing some reading it
seems that the main reason for this is pesticide ingestion. So I guess
our neighbors are using excessive RoundUp and whatnot. Surprise!

We have a lot of brood and a lot of honey. It was not possible to take
out the end frame because it was glued to the wall of the hive with
capped honey. When we tried to pull it out, about 1/4 cup of honey
poured out and half the comb on the frame started ripping off. We
drowned a bunch of bees in the avalanche of honey. So we just let it
stay.

We added the second super and put one brood frame from the bottom
super into it to get the colony to move in there. The activity around
the hive since the inspection and the addition of the second super has
been much more intense.

Last night we had the kitchen door open and a few (3-4) bees came in
and started running into the lamp. We captured them with some
tupperware and set them outside again, but they continued to fly
around the porch light. We had not seen any bees out of the hive at
night before, this worries me since the neighbors all leave their
porch lights on and sometimes may have doors open as well. Hope they
don't have a problem. The bees that came into our kitchen were pretty
angry and definitely in stinging mode.