Entrance reducer / 1st hive inspection

richard d

Apr 23, 2011, 8:43:10 AM4/23/11
to DC Honeybees Forum
Jeff,

If the weather is sunny tomorrow I'm going to do my first hive
inspection. Is it too early to remove the entrance reducer? And
should I expect the queen to have started laying eggs?

-Richard

Jeff Miller

Apr 23, 2011, 8:58:45 AM4/23/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com, DC Honeybees Forum
Look for eggs. Remove reducer. Should see lots of progress.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Bernstein

Apr 23, 2011, 9:02:23 AM4/23/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeff

Is there a reducer on the hive I have? If so, how would I remove it and how/where would I see eggs?

Richard

Jeff Miller

Apr 23, 2011, 9:24:00 AM4/23/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com, dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Yes you have a reducer. You can just pull it our. It looks like a large chop stick with a couple of notches in it. Take out the queen cage also assuming she has been released. Release her if still in there.

In the base of some of the dry cells you may see a tiny white egg that looks like a tiny grain of rice.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Bernstein

Apr 27, 2011, 11:02:06 AM4/27/11
to dc-honeyb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff

I will try to inspect the hive tomorrow to see how the comb is looking. At what point should I add the 2nd box? With that in mind, a lot of the starter comb that you provided is bent, does it make sense to remove the starter comb and just insert the frames so that the comb built by the bees is not deformed?

Thanks,

Richard Bernstein
Tilton Bernstein Management, Inc.
1827 14th Street, NW