CNC Day 3: Gaps and identifications

Carrie Seltzer

Apr 26, 2020, 10:48:28 AM4/26/20
to dc-area-cityn...@googlegroups.com

We have collectively documented well over 1000 species so far in the last 2.5 days for the Washington Metropolitan Area City Nature Challenge! And nearly 1000 people have contributed.

With the rainy weather today, this is a good opportunity to take a look at what we're missing that we think we should be able to find, and chip in with the identifications.

Here are a few species that I think we should be able to find (remember, tracks/scat/bones count!):
-Coyote
-Fox Squirrel
-American Black Bear
-Brown Rat
-Striped Skunk
-Gray Fox
-Southern Flying Squirrel
-So many birds
-Cabbage white (!)
-European Hornet
-Eastern Yellowjacket
-Red Swamp Crayfish
-Atlantic Blue Crab
-Pitch pine
-Indian pipe
-Purple pitcher plant
-Post oak
-Burr oak
-Ohio buckeye
-Striped maple
-Trident maple

much more extensive list of links can be found here.

If you can help with identifications but are unsure how to get started, check out this overview and/or this short video. Huge thanks to everyone helping with identifications, especially @dbarber @tlit46 514 @sarahva @liztrain @lucareptile @nanjemoycreek @choess @erininmd @tsn @pfirth @jraiford

Marking observations of street trees, garden plants, and pets as captive/cultivated is also a great way to help.

Please also check to see how your county and its neighbors are doing by clicking through the links here, and reach out to anyone else you know who might want to participate. We've got at least one person from every county, but just barely!

Stay safe and have fun!

Best,
Carrie

If you want to share this on social media, you can share a link to the project journal post