[dc-area-cnc] Pollinator Week Observation Opportunities

Stella Tarnay

Jun 15, 2021, 8:34:52 AM6/15/21
to DC-area CityNatureChallenge
Greetings Citizen Science Friends - Pollinator Week will soon be here, from June 21-27, and a group of us from the City Nature Challenge are keen to observe what is buzzing in area gardens, neighborhoods and parks. It’s a great opportunity to document the important species that keep much of our ecosystem going. Please join in if pollinators pique your interest. Here is what we have happening locally so far:

Pollinator Palooza - project on iNaturalist for DC-area pollinator observations June 21-27.  Big thanks to Ana for setting it up. Join just like you did the DC Area CNC. We’ll also be able to sort for bees, flies, butterflies, moths and beetles for general observations in the area during that period.

Pollinator Palooza on Eventbrite - we eventized the week so the general public can sign up. Great link to share with newbie friends who may want to observe.

Pollinator Observation Walk on the Mall - this will be a fun walk with Robert Costello, Mary Ford and yours truly on Saturday, June 26th from 10:00 am to Noon in the Smithsonian Gardens on the National Mall. The native plant selections in the gardens attract abundant bees and butterflies, and they are great fun to watch.

Pollinator Palooza ID Party - on Monday, June 28th we will convene on Zoom to share observations and help each other with IDs. Many thanks to Deborah Barber and The Nature Conservancy for hosting.

You can participate by joining in on any of these events, by sharing news of Pollinator Palooza on your social media, or by holding your own pollinator event. And of course by observing! Feel free to use these images to spread the word on social media using #PollinatorPalooza.

If you have pollinator observation events or programs coming up please let us know. I will make sure we add them to the Capital Nature regional calendar and an upcoming newsletter.

Stella

Stella Tarnay
Capital Nature
Washington DC Area Citizen Science Network
2021 DC Area City Nature Challenge

Stella Tarnay

Jun 15, 2021, 8:37:27 AM6/15/21
to dc-area-cityn...@googlegroups.com

Mary Ford

Jun 25, 2021, 8:14:57 PM6/25/21
to DC-area CityNatureChallenge
Hello nature friends! We hope you've been able to get out and enjoy Pollinator Week. I'm attaching one of my favorite observations here, from a meadow in Calvert County.

We hope many of you will join us tomorrow, June 26 (Saturday) for our Pollinator Palooza on the National Mall. Totally free, but register here so we know how many to expect:

We'll meet at 10 am at the Pollinator Garden at the National Museum of Natural History, located at 850 Madison Drive. Bring water, sunscreen, and a hat!

Bee there or bee square. :)

bee.jpeg