Key meeting dates for City Nature Challenge planning

Carrie Seltzer

Jan 11, 2021, 7:10:55 AM1/11/21
to dc-area-cityn...@googlegroups.com
Hello, City Nature Challenge enthusiasts!

The observation period for the City Nature Challenge will take place April 30th through May 3rd. Then during May 4-9, observations can still be uploaded to iNaturalist and identified. The global results will be announced on Monday, May 10. Please join our project on iNaturalist which will automatically collect all of the relevant observations during those 4 days.

For the DC metropolitan area (including DC and parts of MD, VA, and WV), we'll have monthly meetings to coordinate our activities and foster new collaborations. We invite any organizations or individuals who want to play a role in encouraging and supporting participation anywhere in the metro area to join these calls. January 29 will specifically be a call for anyone new to the City Nature Challenge, so please invite others who may be interested to join.

This year, all calls will take place on Fridays from 11 am to noon.

Call dates for organizers:
Jan 22: meeting for returning organizers
Jan 29: first time organizers (if you haven't participated in the City Nature Challenge before, this will orient you)
Feb 19: monthly meeting for all CNC organizers
Mar 19: monthly meeting for all CNC organizers
Apr 16: monthly meeting for all CNC organizers
May 21: post-CNC debrief call for all CNC organizers

I will send calendar invites for these events later this week. There is a smaller group of organizers working to coordinate resources and efforts across the region that will also meet monthly.

I hope that you are all staying safe and well during these dark days. Let's work together to make 2021 the best it can be for people & biodiversity in our region.

Best,
Carrie Seltzer
DC area CNC co-organizer