April is City Nature Month! Trainings and Promo Materials

1 view

Ana Kaahanui

Apr 8, 2020, 6:22:11 PM4/8/20
to dc-area-cityn...@googlegroups.com, Ana Kaahanui
Dear City Nature Challenge Friends -

Thanks to those who were able to join yesterday's Organizers’ Zoom call! It was great to hear your voices and to hear about some of your plans for citizen science engagement during these difficult times.

Here are the notes from the call and helpful resources to spread the word about City Nature Month and upcoming virtual trainings we are developing.

We've created some social media resources you can use to promote on your own channels. Here is a sample email to share about tomorrow's free iNaturalist webinar. Note the session is limited to 300 participants and registration is required.

Sample email:

Are you looking for ways to engage with nature within the safety of your own home, backyard, and neighborhood? Tune in on Thursday, April 9th from 12:00 - 1:00 pm EST to learn more about iNaturalist, the global City Nature Challenge and about the DC Area’s  City Nature Month. iNaturalist Stakeholder Engagement Strategist Carrie Seltzer will be leading the training. To join this family friendly Zoom webinar, please follow these steps at 12:00 pm this Thursday, April 9th:

  1. Click here to register. We are asking all participants to register as a Zoom safety precaution.

  2. Enter your first name, last name, and email

  3. Check the box next to, “I am not a robot”

  4. Click “join meeting”

If needed, the meeting ID is 795-340-844.

Please note that space is limited. This event is first come, first served.

Remember, no matter where you are, a bioblitz is always possible!

Sample social media post:

Are you looking for ways to engage with nature within the safety of your own home, backyard, or neighborhood? Tune in on Thursday, April 9th from 12:00 pm -1:00 pm EST to learn more about the iNaturalist app, the global City Nature Challenge, and about the DC Area’s City Nature Month. iNaturalist Stakeholder Engagement Strategist Carrie Seltzer will lead the training.

Register for this free session here.

We are asking participants to register as a Zoom security precaution. Sign up soon - spaces are limited!

More Helpful Info

Please share our City Nature Month press release!

Here is an updated City Nature Month flyer with a QR code linking to our regional website.

Help us cross-promote each other's activities by adding your organization's social media handles here.

Watch the DC Area City Nature Challenge and City Nature Month website for updates on upcoming virtual trainings: Train-the-Trainer, Taking Quality Pics for iNaturalist and Tips for Making Identifications. (Titles TBD)

Check out all the Week 1 observations made as of April 7th! Shout out to Alonso Abugattas, Jr. for leading the pack in observations! Who else will make it onto the leaderboard?

Happy iNatting!

With Aloha,
Ana 
ana_kaahanui on iNaturalist

Capital
Nature
Follow us on Facebook
Submit an event for our calendar!

Stella Tarnay

Apr 8, 2020, 6:30:06 PM4/8/20
to Ana Kaahanui, dc-area-cityn...@googlegroups.com
Big thanks Ana. This will be a great resource to all of us!

Stella