Testing if all works from odbxtest.sh

Jose.Larroque

Oct 13, 2013, 2:55:39 PM10/13/13
to dbx...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if
its possible connect from OpenDBXDriver to a Mysql database. First i use
an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5)
version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library
backend"

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i
downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with
the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows,
because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for
"..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far
as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux
environments, right?

In short, its possible test a conection using OpenDBXDriver in windows 7
without using Pharo?

Guillermo Polito

Oct 16, 2013, 9:00:25 AM10/16/13
to dbx...@googlegroups.com
Hi!!

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jose.Larroque <larroq...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if
its possible connect  from OpenDBXDriver  to a Mysql database. First i use
an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5)
version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library
backend"

That means that the opendbx library was found (libopendbx) but the one corresponding to the specific backend (libmysqlbackend in this case) was not. For that you depend on the OS library loading policy :). I don't know much the Windows details, but I'm pretty sure it first looks in the folder of the current executable, and if not found, it goes and searches in the Windows/system[32] folder.

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i
downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with
the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows,
because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for
"..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far
as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux
environments, right?

How are you running the script? through a normal windows console? Because a .sh would not work there... Are you using instead cygwin or mingw/msys?

I'd recommend to execute directly the odbxtest.exe file with the corresponding arguments. If it does not find the libraries, try to copy both (libopendbx and libmysql) next to the odbxtest executable so it finds them.

In short, its possible test a conection using OpenDBXDriver in windows 7
without using Pharo?

In short, it should :).

Keep us updated!
Guille

Mariano Martinez Peck

Oct 16, 2013, 10:29:51 AM10/16/13
to dbx...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Guillermo Polito <guiller...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!!

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jose.Larroque <larroq...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if
its possible connect  from OpenDBXDriver  to a Mysql database. First i use
an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5)
version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library
backend"

That means that the opendbx library was found (libopendbx) but the one corresponding to the specific backend (libmysqlbackend in this case) was not. For that you depend on the OS library loading policy :). I don't know much the Windows details, but I'm pretty sure it first looks in the folder of the current executable,

which in our case is the pharo vm (.exe).

and if not found, it goes and searches in the Windows/system[32] folder.

yes, and then in $PATH. So try putting it in several places.

Guille...I think that the error message is for something else here. I think it is not that openDBX didn't find libmysqlbackend but that it didn't find the libs of the mysql (the client library).
So Jose, try to be sure the mysql libs are being finadble. Add its /lib and /bin into $PATH.
Some helpful discussions:

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i
downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with
the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows,
because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for
"..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far
as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux
environments, right?

How are you running the script? through a normal windows console? Because a .sh would not work there... Are you using instead cygwin or mingw/msys?

I'd recommend to execute directly the odbxtest.exe file with the corresponding arguments. If it does not find the libraries, try to copy both (libopendbx and libmysql) next to the odbxtest executable so it finds them.

indeed. but are we sure odbxtest.exe was included in the downlaod zip? I am not sure....