ODBC Connection String

Jose Sebastian Calvo

May 4, 2014, 6:36:33 PM5/4/14
to dbx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've read that the preferred method in windows to use MSSQLServer is trough odbc.
In Dolphin Smalltalk I can use a connection string to do a "dns less" connection so there is no need to define an specific DNS in the windows dns manager.
e.g. 'UID=my_uid;PWD=my_pwd;DATADABE=my_database'

Is there a way to do the same with DBXTalk?

Regards
  Sebastian Calvo

Mariano Martinez Peck

May 7, 2014, 9:18:11 AM5/7/14
to dbx...@googlegroups.com, OpenDBX devel list

Maybe Norbert (OpenDBX author) knows. Did you try specifying all the DBXConnectionSettings with the database, username and password?

Best,

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Guillermo Polito

May 8, 2014, 12:44:30 PM5/8/14
to dbx...@googlegroups.com, OpenDBX devel list
The options are the ones you find here:

But... "dns less"? host less you mean? I don't know much about odbc, just know the minimum to configure and make the tests run :).

Guille

Jose Sebastian Calvo

May 10, 2014, 4:41:25 PM5/10/14
to dbx...@googlegroups.com, OpenDBX devel list
Thank Guillermo, Mariano,

in the odbc_backend documentation there is a reference to a file called "odbc.ini". Do you know about that file? Maybe it's possible to use that file to specify a "dsn less" connection. Sorry I mistake dsn with dns, is DSN for "data source name" and less because you don't need to configure the connection using the odbc manager in windows. See http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=90#ODBCDriverForSQLServer for an example.

Regards
  Sebastian Calvo