Logging/Capturing timings on scripts

mark....@assentcompliance.com

Aug 3, 2017, 12:34:00 PM8/3/17
to DbUp Discuss
So we've recently started to use DBUp in our CI/CD strategy . We've got many environments and that's how we push our changes over time. However when pushing to different production enviornments we often get complains that its taking too long. Can DBUp log timings on the scripts it runs?

We actually have a model where we shard per tenant (each tenant is a sql db). So i would love to see timings across all my dbs to see where the slowness might be occurring.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Darrell Tunnell

Aug 4, 2017, 1:37:45 AM8/4/17
to dbup-d...@googlegroups.com
A couple of thoughts spring to mind on this.
You could use something like 'serilog` logging library with `seq` sink. You could log the time yourself and this will show in the seq dashboard. As this is a structured log, you can filter by environment and report on things such as average times, min and max times etc.

The alternative, would be to submit a PR for dbup that makes it include start and end times in the version history table. This way you could report on times by querying that table in each database..

Darrell