DBBUG Lightning Talks & Social

Rob Charlwood

Nov 14, 2014, 8:29:45 AM11/14/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am very sorry that I have been neglecting this group somewhat as of late! :)

I have been very busy professionally and personally and simply haven't had any time to show the DBBUG some love.

Excuses aside, its about time I pulled my finger out and started arranging something for us all

I was thinking it might be nice to have a bit of a lightning talks meet up combined with a bit of a social!
I have opened a Doodle poll to see who can do when. I have also opened a Google Sheet to see who would be interested in giving a talk on some Django based goodness. Talks can be on anything of interest and kept around the 5-10 minute mark.

Once everyone has had a chance to fill out the Doodle poll and Google Sheet a final date will be selected based on which date suits most people.

I have asked the wonderful tatty's over at Potato if they would mind hosting the event for us, but if anybody else has a projector and WiFi connection and fancies getting in on the hosting love, then please let me know asap.

The Agenda Brenda:

5:00pm - 6:00pm Meet and greet at location TBC
6:00pm - 7:00pm Lightning talks
7:00pm - late: Xmas drinks starting at The Old Fish Market

Look forward to seeing you all there hopefully!

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Charlwood

Nov 14, 2014, 9:44:34 AM11/14/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just an update to let you all know that the kind folk over at Potato have agreed to host the event for us!

So the event will be held at their Bristol offices, directions to which can be found here:

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Cheers,
Rob

Ed Crewe

Nov 19, 2014, 8:27:34 AM11/19/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

I can do a talk - based on either of these blog postings -

http://edcrewe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-10-commandments-of-maintainable-web.html
http://edcrewe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/fixing-third-party-django-packages-with.html

PS: Can't seem to edit your spreadsheet.

Cheers,
Ed

Rob Charlwood

Nov 19, 2014, 10:23:41 AM11/19/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

Either of those blogs would be great to give a talk on! :-)
I will leave you to decide which you think would be best for a 5-10 minute talk.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Charlwood

Nov 19, 2014, 10:24:12 AM11/19/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
PS. I will double check the spreadsheet permissions. :)

Rob Charlwood

Nov 19, 2014, 10:26:13 AM11/19/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Yep, sorry all. I had spreadsheet permissions set incorrectly.

Everybody feel free to add your talk topics the spreadsheet! :)

Cheers.
Rob

Rob Charlwood

Nov 25, 2014, 4:28:35 AM11/25/14
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

So the poll has been up for just under 2 weeks now and I think everyone who is going to sign it, has now signed it.
So in order to give people plenty of notice I am closing the poll now and selecting the most appropriate date. This gives people a few weeks notice prior to the event and means that everyone now has a concrete date to put into their calendars.

The event will take place on Thursday, January 8, 2015. Meet and greet will be from 5:00pm - 6pm with the lighting talks commencing from 6pm. The event will be held at Potato's Bristol offices at the below address (Thanks Potato!):

St Nicholas House
31-34 High Street
Bristol
BS1 2AW
United Kingdom

Once the lightning talks have finished, we will all be headed to the Old Fish Market on Baldwin Street where drinking will the commence into the wee hours of the morning.

I will leave the Google Spreadsheet open and editable so that anyone else who wishes to give a talk can add their name and subject to the list. Don't be shy people! There are only 2 names down at the minute to give talks and so it could be a very short session if others don't get involved! :-) It can be a talk on anything of Django/Python related interest. It may be a cool or exciting personal project you are working on, or a new technology you are playing with or library that you have written or are working with. Talks can be as little as 5 minutes in length (believe me, it flies past) to a maximum of 15 minutes and all levels of speaker welcome, novice to master!

Looking forward to seeing you all then!

If anybody needs to contact me directly, then you can reach me on email at robcha...@gmail.com or on twitter @robcharlwood.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Charlwood

Jan 5, 2015, 4:42:27 AM1/5/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just a reminder that the DBBUG Lightning Talks and Social evening is happening this Thursday evening (8th January).

Meet and greet will be from 5:00pm - 6pm with the lighting talks commencing from 6pm. The event will be held at Potato's Bristol offices at the below address (Thanks Potato!):

St Nicholas House
31-34 High Street
Bristol
BS1 2AW
United Kingdom

Once the lightning talks have finished, we will all be headed to the Old Fish Market on Baldwin Street where drinking will the commence into the wee hours of the morning.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! :)

Cheers,
Rob

Nigel Legg

Jan 6, 2015, 10:39:04 AM1/6/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Won't be able to make it, as I'll be going to the South West Data / Bristolisopen open data presentation.  The big question is whether there is enough open data out there for the claim to be valid...

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972

Nick Read

Jan 8, 2015, 11:21:41 AM1/8/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Howdy!

I'm a Django developer and fairly new to the Bristol area.  Just wondering if you have thought about starting a group on MeetUp.com for more visibility for the group?

Hope to meet you all at a talk soon :)

Nick

Nigel Legg

Jan 8, 2015, 11:45:38 AM1/8/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Sadly won't be able to make it tonight. See you next time.

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972

Rob Charlwood

Jan 8, 2015, 12:54:48 PM1/8/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Anybody struggling to get into the building, please email me. I will be checking fairly regularly, but just in case I miss you...

Cheers,
Rob

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972

Steve Lacey

Mar 22, 2015, 12:02:05 PM3/22/15
to db...@googlegroups.com
Sad I missed this, would be great to get more regular talk nights together for this group, or just a general Python group in Bristol, happy to help out – I run PHPSW, so have some protips / organisational ability (I hope).

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972