Randomness of random resources

ploo...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2012, 11:26:15 AM11/16/12
to dbpedia-da...@googlegroups.com
Hi

FYI

I keep getting the same resources when I choose "completely random" option. Even happens to fetch the same thing twice in a row :)

Tom

Dimitris Kontokostas

Nov 16, 2012, 2:46:55 PM11/16/12
to ploo...@gmail.com, dbpedia-da...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Can you provide some more info here? From my point of view there can be two cases,
the stretched one is that there is a problem with the rand() implementation ^^

If you recognize any of the below resources then you are in the second case :)
We have an algorithm that by 50% fetches an existing evaluation from another user on the same category and these should be your matches for "Any". Since you are the first in resource count your options are getting limited
We also keep track of the current session so that you never get the same resource twice in the same session so there might be a bug in there.
BTW, a session is the period from when you start until you press finish or restart the evaluation

Best,
Dimitris

| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Aodh_mac_Muirchertach_Ua_Dubhda         | 0.128969634071896 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Iweta_Rajlich                           |  0.14903502459548 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Daytime_running_lamp                    | 0.197743127306684 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Landon_Liboiron                         | 0.590326510919562 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Glenhaven%2C_New_South_Wales            |  0.73873796941595 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/St_Mary_the_Virgin%27s_Church%2C_Walney | 0.810388182113309 |
| http://dbpedia.org/resource/Dynamo_Blues_F.C.                       | 0.900777659286538 |

Kontokostas Dimitris

Tomek Pluskiewicz

Nov 16, 2012, 3:03:22 PM11/16/12
to Dimitris Kontokostas, dbpedia-da...@googlegroups.com
Yes, sure I got some of those more than once and I understand that
your algorithm makes perfect sense.

However I did get the same resource virtually twice in a row. I mean
the first time I got it but have already evaluated in a previous
sessions. Fine so far. I click Skip because I have already seen it and
I then it comes back. I think there might be a bug there after all.

Thanks,
Tom

Dimitris Kontokostas

Nov 16, 2012, 3:25:19 PM11/16/12
to Tomek Pluskiewicz, dbpedia-da...@googlegroups.com
Yup, bug fixed!
The check was made before the latest resource got in the skipped list
so this case (immediately same) was the only way you could get the same resource in the same session!
Playing by the odds...

Thanks for the feedback!
Dimtris
--