DBD::Oracle Maintainership - Introduction

Dean Pearce

Dec 17, 2014, 4:04:36 PM12/17/14
Hi All!

My name is Dean and I work for Pythian, the current maintainer for DBD::Oracle. I have volunteered to take over DBD::Oracle maintenance and development tasks. Yanick has moved on from Pythian, hence the complete lack of releases in the recent months. I am currently in the process of picking things up including group maintenance, development, patch integration and releases. I have some CPAN experience (PEARCE) in releasing and maintaining FCGI::ProcManager::MaxSize, and have contributed patches to other CPAN modules in the past including HTTP::Tiny and Perl::Tidy. That said, this is the first time I will be maintaining a larger module, so please bear with me as I adjust to this new and exciting world!

I look forward to chatting and working with all of you in the coming months! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me or post a message on this group.

Cheers,
Dean

mje

Dec 18, 2014, 4:02:52 AM12/18/14
to dbd-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean and welcome

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 21:04:36 UTC, Dean Pearce wrote:
Hi All!

My name is Dean and I work for Pythian, the current maintainer for DBD::Oracle. I have volunteered to take over DBD::Oracle maintenance and development tasks. Yanick has moved on from Pythian, hence the complete lack of releases in the recent months. I am currently in the process of picking things up including group maintenance, development, patch integration and releases. I have some CPAN experience (PEARCE) in releasing and maintaining FCGI::ProcManager::MaxSize, and have contributed patches to other CPAN modules in the past including HTTP::Tiny and Perl::Tidy. That said, this is the first time I will be maintaining a larger module, so please bear with me as I adjust to this new and exciting world!

 Actually, I did a release of DBD::Oracle last month.

http://search.cpan.org/~mjevans/DBD-Oracle-1.75_2/

Outstanding pull requests were not being pulled in. I contacted Yanick and discovered he'd left Pythian. I then contacted Tim and then did a release which I did not widely publicise but a few people who reported bugs used it.

I believe the Pythian repository is now behind the version I released but I'll double check and submit more pull requests if necessary.

I look forward to chatting and working with all of you in the coming months! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me or post a message on this group.

Cheers,
Dean

--

 I can often be found on irc.perl.org in #dbi as mje.

Out of interest, do you have any C/XS experience as there is a lot of it in DBD::Oracle.

Martin

Dean Pearce

Dec 18, 2014, 8:58:53 AM12/18/14
to dbd-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marin

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:02:52 AM UTC-5, mje wrote:
[...]

I would greatly appreciate it if you did submit the pull requests for your version.

I look forward to chatting and working with all of you in the coming months! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me or post a message on this group.

Cheers,
Dean

--

 I can often be found on irc.perl.org in #dbi as mje.

Out of interest, do you have any C/XS experience as there is a lot of it in DBD::Oracle.

I do have some experience in C from other non-Perl projects, and have a rough understanding on how XS works.

Yep, I am just slowly moving my way through the various groups and accounts, expect me to pop up there soon!

Martin

Tim Bunce

Dec 18, 2014, 6:08:51 PM12/18/14
to dbd-o...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 01:04:35PM -0800, Dean Pearce wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> My name is Dean and I work for Pythian, the current maintainer for
> DBD::Oracle. I have volunteered to take over DBD::Oracle
> maintenance and development tasks.

Welcome Dean, and Thank You!

> I look forward to chatting and working with all of you in the
> coming months! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to
> e-mail me or post a message on this group.

Great. I see you've already had a reply from Martin.

Please work closely with, and be guided by, Martin. He's had a lot of
experience with DBD::Oracle and DBI over many years.

Thanks again.

Tim.

Yanick Champoux

Dec 19, 2014, 11:27:43 AM12/19/14
to dbd-o...@googlegroups.com
Howdie all,

On 14-12-18 06:08 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
> Please work closely with, and be guided by, Martin. He's had a lot of
> experience with DBD::Oracle and DBI over many years.

Just wanted to poke my head and say that I've worked with Dean for the
last 5 years, and have full confidence in his capacities. He's an
excellent man, and will be a great maintainer.:-)

Also, Dean already know where I live, so if he has any dzil questions
(or indeed any other questions), he fully knows where to find me. But it
also goes for anybody else; I'll always answer if the Yanick-signal
illuminate the sky. ;-)

Joy,
`/anick