Long Range Wifi

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 14, 2012, 3:29:35 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I was just shooting an e-mail out to see if anyone was interested in helping do a basic site survey to determine the feasibility of creating the link from dayton diode to my home which is 1.7 miles south on a hill.

Here is my houses LOS from my second story: http://www.mine-freak.com/ddgg.jpg

As a side note, I would also like to get together and turn in my application and dues.

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 14, 2012, 4:36:33 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

That sounds cool. I  can try to be there later if you would like to today

Shawn Garrett

Jan 14, 2012, 5:22:56 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Anyone going to be there today?

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 14, 2012, 5:32:22 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Well I could come by there tonight. But it is looking like tomorrow will be a better time for me.

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 14, 2012, 9:01:12 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow would be ideal, I have to setup my Hacktop (EeePC with 1 Watt Wifi adaptor).

Shawn Garrett

Jan 14, 2012, 11:11:08 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

What time range you guys going to be there?

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 15, 2012, 12:51:12 AM1/15/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what time currently, I'm free from about noon onward. Also does anyone A) Know what type of connector the high-gain in the space has and B) have a RP-SMA to that adaptor?

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 15, 2012, 8:57:21 AM1/15/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I should be there at 1

Shawn Garrett

Jan 15, 2012, 9:46:34 AM1/15/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Anyone want a larger heave 4u server case?
I think the mobo is shot but everything else seems to be good.
Will fit EATX or ATX mobo.
Thank you,

Shawn Garrett

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 15, 2012, 10:16:32 AM1/15/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Hmm..... Idk what I would use it for. But might be useful for something later on at the space.

Shawn Garrett

Jan 15, 2012, 10:18:46 AM1/15/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

It might be better for parts.

J. Simmons

Jan 16, 2012, 11:34:57 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Did folks get over to the space to test the WiFi stuff out?  If so, how did it go?

 -J

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 16, 2012, 11:40:32 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

We need to get an adaptor for the one antenna that we have. And the other problem is finding a suitable location. The building across from second st is in the way.

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 16, 2012, 12:14:19 PM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Here is a quick workup I have done that shows a possible roof access on the building directly north of the space... http://mine-freak.com/LRW-1.jpg

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 17, 2012, 12:36:38 PM1/17/12
to Dayton Diode
I have the adaptor on order and picking it up this evening, I might
try to make it over there this evening if someone is opening the
space.

On Jan 16, 12:14 pm, Ryan Satterfield <rsatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a quick workup I have done that shows a possible roof access on the
> building directly north of the space...http://mine-freak.com/LRW-1.jpg
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Joseph Mckibben <joe.mckib...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > We need to get an adaptor for the one antenna that we have. And the other
> > problem is finding a suitable location. The building across from second st
> > is in the way.
> > On Jan 16, 2012 11:34 AM, "J. Simmons" <jedi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Did folks get over to the space to test the WiFi stuff out?  If so, how
> >> did it go?
>
> >>  -J

> >http://groups.google.com/group/dayton-diode?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

J. Simmons

Jan 17, 2012, 1:30:34 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

Great news on the adapter.  I'm not free tonight, but I would love to help out with this on Sat as part of the Open House.  Maybe we could arrange for someone to stop by the Front Street office during the week to get access to the roof over the weekend.  What do you think?

 -J

PS - We also need to get someone over there with you to get you your own access.

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 17, 2012, 2:33:16 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I doubt I will be available at all this week.

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 17, 2012, 2:43:23 PM1/17/12
to Dayton Diode
J,

If we can get confirmation of roof access would be great.

Have two designated people allowed roof access for the tall building
during the open house and both must accompany each other while
occuping the roof (buddy system).

Also, do we have a general concensus on what membership costs will be,
once I get confimation I can cut a check (or cash). I hate paypal
since I have $200 wrapped up for two more months in their "30% rolling
reserve" after I cash it out in mid-late March I will be terminating
my paypal account.

Ryan

On Jan 17, 1:30 pm, "J. Simmons" <jedi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> Great news on the adapter.  I'm not free tonight, but I would love to help
> out with this on Sat as part of the Open House.  Maybe we could arrange for
> someone to stop by the Front Street office during the week to get access to
> the roof over the weekend.  What do you think?
>
>  -J
>
> PS - We also need to get someone over there with you to get you your own
> access.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Shawn Garrett

Jan 17, 2012, 3:11:55 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I'm down to help during the Openhouse this weekend, let me know if we need any other kind of wifi equipment.

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 17, 2012, 3:21:02 PM1/17/12
to Dayton Diode
What kind of wifi equipment do you have?

Im kinda limited on the Access Point
On Jan 17, 3:11 pm, Shawn Garrett <shawncgarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm down to help during the Openhouse this weekend, let me know if we need
> any other kind of wifi equipment.

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 17, 2012, 4:36:35 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

There are already a couple of wireless routers at the space. I think one is a N router.

Shawn Garrett

Jan 17, 2012, 5:06:37 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Yeah any WRT54G w/ dd-wrt, promisicuous Alfa Card, not too much in terms of hardcore antennas though. Just willing to help on Saturday though, if you have anything in mind ahead of time let me know.

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 17, 2012, 7:31:45 PM1/17/12
to Dayton Diode
I have an 1W Alfa also... Sitting here with on my bed with a 7dbi
omni, Kismet is reporting 66 networks.

We may be able to use the Alfa to test the link (I assume its a 1 watt
as well).

On Jan 17, 5:06 pm, Shawn Garrett <shawncgarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah any WRT54G w/ dd-wrt, promisicuous Alfa Card, not too much in terms of
> hardcore antennas though. Just willing to help on Saturday though, if you
> have anything in mind ahead of time let me know.
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Joseph Mckibben <joe.mckib...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > There are already a couple of wireless routers at the space. I think one
> > is a N router.
>
> read more »

Shawn Garrett

Jan 17, 2012, 7:47:23 PM1/17/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Yep, AWUS036H. I think I have a 9.3dbi Omni w/my 7 also, and another 7dbi thats outdoor and directional. I'll bring what I can.
Thank you,

Shawn Garrett

J. Simmons

Jan 18, 2012, 1:43:48 PM1/18/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I stopped by Front Street today and they have given us permission to go up on the roof and mount the antenna.  There are some ruled we need to follow, so folks should wait until I am around to go up there, and we will need a ladder to get up to the upper told from the lower roof where we can get to from inside.

See folks Sat,

-J

Joseph Mckibben

Jan 18, 2012, 2:08:22 PM1/18/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Very cool. Thanks J

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 18, 2012, 3:02:42 PM1/18/12
to Dayton Diode
Rgr

The roof above the space --might-- work, although we would have to
construct a small mast ~6 - 8 ft to overtake the roof of the building
across 2nd Street.

Or if we can gain access to the tall roof on the opposite side of the
building, which is taller than the 2nd street bldg.

Ryan

On Jan 18, 2:08 pm, Joseph Mckibben <joe.mckib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool. Thanks J
> On Jan 18, 2012 1:43 PM, "J. Simmons" <jedi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I stopped by Front Street today and they have given us permission to go up
> > on the roof and mount the antenna.  There are some ruled we need to follow,
> > so folks should wait until I am around to go up there, and we will need a
> > ladder to get up to the upper told from the lower roof where we can get to
> > from inside.
>
> > See folks Sat,
>
> > -J
> > On Jan 17, 2012 7:47 PM, "Shawn Garrett" <shawncgarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yep, AWUS036H. I think I have a 9.3dbi Omni w/my 7 also, and another 7dbi
> >> thats outdoor and directional. I'll bring what I can.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/dayton-diode?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Shawn Garrett

Jan 18, 2012, 5:14:35 PM1/18/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
The only thing I wonder wt having a mast is if it would be sturdy enough, like if its real windy one day would it be enough to knock its positioning off, or fluctuate with the wind.

J. Simmons

Jan 19, 2012, 2:39:26 PM1/19/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I imagine the other thing to consider is the length of the cable run.  We should be able to run a very short cable from the roof over our space, not so sure about other locations.  I think the only thing we can really do at this point is plan to go up on the part of the roof we have access to and see how things work.

 -J

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 19, 2012, 4:39:38 PM1/19/12
to Dayton Diode
Rgr,

If anyone is going to be at the space in the next two days, let me
know.
I need to check on the adaptor to make sure I was correct, so I can
verify that its a complete green light for the open house, and to do a
basic test with that antenna.

On Jan 19, 2:39 pm, "J. Simmons" <jedi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I imagine the other thing to consider is the length of the cable run.  We
> should be able to run a very short cable from the roof over our space, not
> so sure about other locations.  I think the only thing we can really do at
> this point is plan to go up on the part of the roof we have access to and
> see how things work.
>
>  -J
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Shawn Garrett <shawncgarr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > The only thing I wonder wt having a mast is if it would be sturdy enough,
> > like if its real windy one day would it be enough to knock its positioning
> > off, or fluctuate with the wind.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Ryan Satterfield

Jan 20, 2012, 11:05:54 AM1/20/12
to Dayton Diode
Im going to voice a little concern over the slanted roof above the
space with the snow and below freezing tempatures.

J. Simmons

Jan 20, 2012, 11:30:28 AM1/20/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I was waiting to see how the weather actually turned out before I voiced my concerns, but I couldn't agree more that even a mostly flat roof + ice sounds like a bad recipe.

 -J