Different rendering desktop vs browser.

Mark Sibly

Feb 29, 2024, 7:04:59 PMFeb 29
to Dawn Graphics
Hi,

I'm writing some stuff that runs on both desktop via dawn and in a browser, and I'm getting different results.

This is how the desktop version renders:

This is how the browser (chrome) version renders:

If you looking carefully you can see a bunch of black 'speckles' in the browser render.

I suspect this is caused by the fact that my light is at exactly 0,0,0 and something is Nan-ing out somewhere, I vaguely remember having similar issues in the past. Moving the light up a bit fixes the issue so that's my solution for now, but I'm gonna leep looking...

But I thought it odd that the renders were different in the first place - perhaps the browser version shaders are running in low-precision mode or something?

Possibly nothing but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Bye,
Mark

Corentin Wallez

Mar 4, 2024, 4:30:39 AMMar 4
to Mark Sibly, Dawn Graphics
Hey Mark,

On the same machine the shader running via Dawn and the browser should look the same, do you pass any options to Dawn like Toggles or otherwise when running in native? What OS is it? Do you build Dawn from source with DXC? I'm wondering if it could be an FXC vs. DXC issue where the browser would use its shipped DXC while Dawn standalone relies on the system's FXC.

Cheers,

Corentin