dawn dependent on 10.0.20348.0 SDK

Bruce Dawson

Feb 8, 2023, 7:12:30 PM2/8/23
to Dawn Graphics
Dawn depends on the Windows 10.0.20348.0 SDK being installed or in the packaged toolchain:

This is a problem because this makes it difficult to upgrade the SDK that Chromium builds with.

There are a few possible solutions, all of which require some coordination between Chromium and Dawn. I could create a toolchain package that has these three files in the 10.0.20348.0 directory in addition to the Windows 11 SDK directory. The downside is that we would need to repeat this dance on every upgrade.

Or I could package them in a neutral location so that dawn can grab them without referencing an SDK version.

Or, I could have build/vs_toolchain.py copy these files to the output directory, similar to how we copy msdia140.dll, dbghelp.dll, and others.

I think that the last solution is the best. It would require that I update build/vs_toolchain.py, then dawn update or remove their copy step, and then I could update the toolchain.

Thoughts?

Bruce Dawson

Feb 8, 2023, 7:26:05 PM2/8/23
to Dawn Graphics
Apparently this dependency was only added in November 2022. I've commented on the bug so the discussion can happen here or there: