Sharing build files for Vulkan validation layers

Corentin Wallez

Jun 19, 2019, 5:57:17 AM6/19/19
to angleproject, Dawn Graphics
Hey all,

We're looking to enable testing Dawn's Vulkan backend on CQ with the Vulkan validation layers enabled, similarly to what ANGLE is doing. The BUILD.gn files for the layers live in ANGLE at the moment and are fairly complicated because of all the code generation going on. We'd like to avoid duplicating them in Dawn to factor their maintenance cost but also would like to avoid taking a dependency on the whole ANGLE repo :)

What do you think of making a vulkan-sdk Chromium repo that contains DEPS for the relevant repos as well as a BUILD.gn files and related scripts to support compilation? Then Dawn, ANGLE and Chromium (and Skia?) could recurse_deps in the vulkan-sdk repo and use targets in its BUILD.gn file.

An alternative is to upstream the BUILD.gn files but I think it's unlikely Khronos will accept them.

Cheers,

Corentin

Corentin Wallez

Jun 19, 2019, 10:58:13 AM6/19/19
to Jamie Madill, Tobin Ehlis, angleproject, Dawn Graphics
Wow that's great I was not expecting Khronos to agree to use BUILD.gn files. CC-ed myself on the bugs and looking forward to sharing the code :)

Corentin

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM Jamie Madill <jma...@chromium.org> wrote:
The GN files are already upstreamed to Khronos. A few changes are going in before we can switch over. We're removing the GN actions and baking more cpp files into the repos. After we switch over in ANGLE you could use a build_overrides setup and to share the Vulkan repos between ANGLE and Dawn directly in Chromium.

Feel free to follow http://anglebug.com/2449 and http:// anglebug.com/3320 and linked Khronos issues. If you want to take over the final migration to the build_overrides setup once the angle issues are done that would be helpful.

Corentin Wallez

Jun 20, 2019, 4:27:59 AM6/20/19
to Jamie Madill, Tobin Ehlis, angleproject, Dawn Graphics, Li, Hao X
Yep thank you Tobin, that's awesome!

Hao, I'm not sure if you're on dawn-graphics: apparently the validation layers already have BUILD.gn files so we should be able to use them directly!

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 5:01 PM Jamie Madill <jma...@chromium.org> wrote:
No problem. You can thank Tobin and LunarG for making that happen.