Putah Creek

ken

May 20, 2011, 11:57:10 PM5/20/11
to DavisKayakers
Hello, my name is ken. My wife and I have kayaked a little for the
past year. We have two entry level Emotion kayaks. I am looking for
info on kayaking Putah Creek in the Davis area. I understand that we
can put in at the picnic area down from Pedrick road or at the Pedrick
road bridge. I looked at the area last summer and it was clogged with
algae. My wife and I are novice kayakers although not completely
unfamiliar with minor rapids. I was hoping to invite my sister and
brother in law but they have a single and a tandem. I am not sure of
the best place for take out. Is this stretch a reasonable paddle
considering our limitations? Is there much "white water"? Are we
likely to find water clear of the algae this time of the year? Thanks
for any advice you can offer. Ken

iloveca49

May 23, 2011, 2:31:45 AM5/23/11
to davisk...@googlegroups.com
I live in Davis. In spring, it is running and water quality is much
better than that in summer. I have not run it, but I had interest in
taking my kids down the creek. As long as I see, there appear to be
lots of bushes and logs. In this regards, the creek is not suitable
for very beginners to paddle even if flow is slow.
If it is running good, I would not recommend to run further to avoid
the risk by tree strainer unless you have an expert.

Masa

Jeff Sanchez

May 23, 2011, 10:58:00 AM5/23/11
to davisk...@googlegroups.com

I have canoed from winters to the bypass on Putah for research and agree it is not a beginner trip. Brush is a considerable hazard.  There is a large pool above hwy 113/80 near the university where people have just paddled around and gotten out in the same place. The lower American is a good beginner float with fewer hazards.
Jeff

ken

May 23, 2011, 11:23:14 PM5/23/11
to DavisKayakers
Ok thanks. I guess it should be better safe than sorry. Thanks for the
info. Ken