Chocolate Recap, Trip to SF Chocolate Salon and March topic!

Danielle Lee

Feb 12, 2013, 2:30:48 AM2/12/13
to daviscl...@googlegroups.com
Hi veg friends!

Awesomely decadent night at club vegan last week Thursday! The potluck was rich was delicious chocolate-inspired dishes and some fun traditional dishes as well. Read below for notes (and recipes) from the last meet-up and a few upcoming events in March!

February Club Vegan Recap: Recipes and Chocolate Discussion!
Check out this recipe for Vegan Chocolate MoleGeorge just got back from Kauai where he visited LOTS of awesome vegan places! He mentioned there are some great recipes on this website from a place he visited while in Kauai.  I’m also hoping Mai Lin, Lindsey, Ben and Nancy will share their recipes, too, over the mailing list!

We discussed what to look for in vegan chocolate – go dark, avoid milk products (check the ingredient list for milk, milk solid and/or whey) and ethically sourced chocolate.

The favorite vegan chocolates of Club Veg members include Divine, Alter Eco, Equal Exchange, Chocolove, Theo and TCHO. We also tried the new Wild Ophelia 70% dark chocolate & granola bar (contains honey!) that the Co-op recently started carrying.

Low-fat vegan cooking came up and we realized that many of the dishes that came to Club Vegan last night were all low-fat and delicious! One great blog to check out for low-fat/fat-free vegan cooking is the FatFreeVegan Kitchen.

Inline image 1

Upcoming Club Vegan group event: SF Chocolate Salon and Millenium Restaurant field trip!
10am-6pm, Sunday, March 24th - Fort Mason in San Francisco

Club Vegan field trip to San Francisco to visit the chocolate salon and also go out to dinner at Millenium Restaurant afterwards! Yay!
Register online for the SF Chocolate Salon. Interested in joining us for dinner at Millenium at 6:00pm? RSVP by Friday, March 8th by emailing dni...@ucdavis.edu.

Inline image 2

March’s Club Vegan Topic: Fake Meat!?
6:30-8:00pm, Thursday, March 7th - Davis Food Co-op Teaching Kitchen

Cravin' the bacon? Longing for that sausage? Well March's Club Vegan get-together is for YOU! Bring your favorite vegan 'meat' to share and be ready to try out a few of the Co-op's favorite vegan 'meat' alternatives! Potluck starts at 6:30pm, discussion starts at 7:00pm.

Cheers, friends!

Dani

Davis Food Co-op Club Vegan
dni...@ucdavis.edu | Facebook!
http://davisfood.coop/education/circles/clubvegan

Club Vegan meets the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm at the Davis Food Co-op Teaching Kitchen!

---
Email List Etiquette:
- When you reply to a message that is sent to the mailing list, your response is sent to the whole mailing list. If you would like to keep your message private, reply directly to the original sender by copying and pasting their email address in the To: field.
- Please keep all emails to the mailing list relevant to vegan diet and lifestyle. This mailing list is intended for Club Vegan members to share events, stories, recipes and more! Keep our listserv community alive and full of resources!
- Please DO NOT solicit for services or advertise for products on the mailing list.
- Please limit any attachments to less than 2,000KB.

Steve and Colette Kitlas

Feb 12, 2013, 8:35:44 PM2/12/13
to daviscl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dani:

Thank you for all of this great information.
The Vegan cheese recipes I was mentioning at the meeting, came from the; "Veg News" October 2012 issue. The front of the magazine says: "The Cheese Issue." It has a stack of tomato and mozzarella as the picture. Of course the mozzarella is vegan. I made the aged Chevre with Herbs de Provence on page 65. It ends up looking like the photo. Very beautiful and tastes wonderful. However, Steve didn't like the Herbs de Provence.
I was planning to make a couple for the next meeting, just so everyone can taste it. And I will use a different herb blend. Maybe an Italian blend. If it works out, I'll try the mozzarella, too.
See you next gathering.
Colette Kitlas

Davis Food Co-op Club Vegan meets the first Thursday of every month at the Davis Food Conference Room at 7pm - great vegan food, amazing vegan people and lots of fun!
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Davis Food Co-op Club Vegan" group.